This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.1517 / 50°9'6"N
Longitude: -5.0652 / 5°3'54"W
OS Eastings: 181122
OS Northings: 32455
OS Grid: SW811324
Mapcode National: GBR ZD.TJNR
Mapcode Global: FRA 088M.BGP
Entry Name: 1, 2 and 3, Bank Place
Listing Date: 22 July 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1270126
English Heritage Legacy ID: 460079
Location: Falmouth, Cornwall, TR11
Civil Parish: Falmouth
Built-Up Area: Falmouth
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Falmouth King Charles the Martyr
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW8132SW BANK PLACE
843-1/11/29 Nos.1, 2 AND 3
Terrace of 3 large town houses, No.1 with later shops. c1770s.
Red brick on rubble with granite plinth, mid-floor strings and
keyblocks to flat brick arches; modillion eaves cornice also
to central triangular pediment with lunette over; original
grouted scantle slate roof to No.1 (right), Delabole slate to
No.2 and dry slate to No.3; 2 brick axial stacks and end stack
on right; hipped ends. Double-depth plan. 3 storeys. Terrace
of 3 houses designed as a unified "palace" front, each house
originally a symmetrical 5-window front, the central house
emphasised by having the central 3 bays broken forward and
The symmetry of No.1 is lost since 2 shop fronts were inserted
early C20. No.2 has a doorway inserted, at left and right in
the former window openings. Windows of No.1 boarded over,
other windows late C19 horned sashes or C20 windows. Original
open-pedimented and pilastered doorways with round-arched
fanlights, spoked to No.1.
INTERIOR of No.2 includes semi-circular arch between vestibule
and stair hall, original open-well staircase with stick
balusters and ramped handrail scrolled over newel, some
original doors and original chimney-piece to 1st-floor
HISTORY: No.2 was the Custom House from the late C18 until the
present Custom House was erected in 1814.
(Gilson P: Falmouth in Old Photographs: Falmouth: 1990-: 58).
Listing NGR: SW8112232455
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings