This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.1515 / 50°9'5"N
Longitude: -5.0651 / 5°3'54"W
OS Eastings: 181135
OS Northings: 32438
OS Grid: SW811324
Mapcode National: GBR ZD.TJPW
Mapcode Global: FRA 088M.BJY
Entry Name: Bank House
Listing Date: 22 July 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1270127
English Heritage Legacy ID: 460080
Location: Falmouth, Cornwall, TR11
Civil Parish: Falmouth
Built-Up Area: Falmouth
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Falmouth King Charles the Martyr
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW8132SW BANK PLACE
22/07/49 Bank House
Large town house, now a hostel. 1788 for Robert Were Fox;
c1868 remodelling and refronting. Stucco on brick; concrete
tile to front roof, asbestos slate to parallel rear roof.
Double-depth plan. 3 storeys; 5-window range with wider space
between near central bay and bay on its right. Mid-floor
strings, rusticated quoins, keyed moulded architraves with
sill brackets and heavy moulded parapet cornice. Late C19
4-pane horned sashes. Near central tripartite porch with
square columns, moulded entablature and parapet with moulded
corner caps; Round-arched doorway with plain fanlight over
4-panel door. C20 lean-to extension to ground-floor right.
INTERIOR: open-well open-string staircase and moulded ceiling
cornice to entrance, otherwise not inspected but likely to be
HISTORY: Bank House was a family home of the Fox family until
1864 when the lease was sold "to Mr John Downing who used the
north end as a biscuit factory while his son, a coal merchant,
used the basement and the yard for storing coal. In 1868 a
fire swept through the building and the roof fell in, but so
solidly had the house been built that the walls were intact".
Bank House was repaired following the fire to become "the Bank
House Hotel until taken over by the YMCA in the early 1930s".
(Gilson P: Falmouth in Old Photographs: Falmouth: 1990-: 59).
Listing NGR: SW8113532438
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings