This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6353 / 52°38'7"N
Longitude: -1.1374 / 1°8'14"W
OS Eastings: 458470
OS Northings: 304521
OS Grid: SK584045
Mapcode National: GBR FFK.W6
Mapcode Global: WHDJJ.H1L1
Entry Name: Coronation Building
Listing Date: 12 March 1996
Last Amended: 2 September 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1270257
English Heritage Legacy ID: 459806
Location: Leicester, LE1
County: City of Leicester
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Leicester
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Leicester St Martin
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SK 5804 NW LEICESTER HIGH STREET
7/10056 Numbers 76-88,
Formerly known as: The Singer Building HIGH STREET. Shops, showrooms and offices. 1902-04, with late C20 alterations. Designed by Arthur Wakerley .Steel-framed with faience and white brick tiled facades with lead roof Art Nouveau style decoration. 3 storey plus attic.
EXTERIOR, has 7 window front arranged 3:1:3. 7 shopfronts mostly C20 with original faience tiled pilasters between, the central shop front and upper floor entrance slightly recessed with original wooden fascia board. First floor has broad central segmental arch with elaborate foliate spandrels and origina13-light plate glass showroom window. Eitherside 3 smaller original 3-light plate glass showroom windows with paneled pilasters between and continuous moulded cornice above. Second foor has 7 faience panels, the central one blank, and each of the flanking panels decorated with a cartouche with coloured Union Jack centre, topped with a different name panel and a representative animal, linked by strapwork chains to foliate corner decorations. From left to right the names and animals which appear above these cartouches are; AUSTRALIA with a Kangaroo, EGYPT with a camel, CANADA with a mountain lion, INDIA with a tiger, BURMAH with an elephant and AFRICA with an ostrich. Above centre has 3 pairs of round headed windows in deep arches with strapwork balustrades and dividing coloured columns and pilasters. Eitherside three 4-light windows with similar balustrades and dividing columns, topped by continuous chamfered eaves cornice with Art Nouveau tiling. Central section has projecting round headed attic with large fanlight, originally topped by a statue of Britannia. Below 3 panels, the outer ones with tiled scenes of galleons, the inner one with late C20 coloured tiles. INTERIOR, not inspected.
This large commercial property was designed and built by Arthur Wakerley (1862-1931), a prominent local architect, developer, philanthropist and politician. Most of the building was occupied as the Midland headquarters and main showroom of the Singer Sewing Machine Co from 1904 to c 1965. It is a rare and well preserved example of an Edwardian commercial property decorated with an Art Nouveau style faience facade.
Listing NGR: SK5847004521
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings