History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bloomsbury Central Baptist Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Holborn and Covent Garden, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5165 / 51°30'59"N

Longitude: -0.1269 / 0°7'36"W

OS Eastings: 530068

OS Northings: 181391

OS Grid: TQ300813

Mapcode National: GBR HB.PK

Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.R49T

Entry Name: Bloomsbury Central Baptist Church

Listing Date: 4 November 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1271628

English Heritage Legacy ID: 477974

Location: Camden, London, WC2H

County: London

District: Camden

Electoral Ward/Division: Holborn and Covent Garden

Built-Up Area: Camden

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Giles-in-the-Fields

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Holborn

Listing Text


CAMDEN

TQ3081SW SHAFTESBURY AVENUE
798-1/105/1428 (East side)
04/11/94 No.235
Bloomsbury Central Baptist Church
(Formerly Listed as:
SHAFTESBURY AVENUE
Central Baptist Church)

GV II

Baptist church. c1845-8. By John Gibson. For Sir Samuel Morton
Peto on speculation because he considered a church was needed
in the area. Grey brick with stone dressings and vertical
bands. Early Italian Gothic style. Rectangular plan.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attics. West front of 3 windows
flanked by rectangular towers. 3 central moulded arch
entrances above which a Lombardic frieze and large rose window
flanked by 2 round-arched windows. Deep Lombardic frieze
beneath arcaded attic windows crowned by a balustrade. 4-stage
towers with vertical bands and small windows; 4th stages are
belfries with round-arched openings, friezes and cornices
having trefoil enriched dies at angles; formerly with short
spires, removed due to war damage.
INTERIOR: horseshoe-shaped auditorium with curved gallery
supported on polygonal cast-iron columns; the gallery with
arcaded-patterned front. Decorated square columns rise from
gallery to roof. Good curved pews, and stained glass
incorporating texts. Balcony reached by winding wrought-iron
stairs in angles either side of narrow central entrance foyer
refitted c1960s.
HISTORICAL NOTE: this was the first Baptist chapel to stand
prominently on a London street, looking like a "church",
reflecting the improved status of Victorian dissenters. Legend
records that when Peto sought to lease the land, the First
Commissioner of Woods & Forests told him that Nonconformist
chapels were too dull: he liked a church with a spire. "A
spire?" exclaimed Peto, "My Lord, we shall have two!".


Listing NGR: TQ3007881386

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.