History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Bloomsbury Public House

A Grade II Listed Building in Holborn and Covent Garden, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5169 / 51°31'0"N

Longitude: -0.1258 / 0°7'32"W

OS Eastings: 530142

OS Northings: 181435

OS Grid: TQ301814

Mapcode National: GBR HB.XF

Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.R4WJ

Entry Name: The Bloomsbury Public House

Listing Date: 11 January 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1271630

English Heritage Legacy ID: 477976

Location: Camden, London, WC2H

County: London

District: Camden

Electoral Ward/Division: Holborn and Covent Garden

Built-Up Area: Camden

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Giles-in-the-Fields

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Holborn

Listing Text


CAMDEN

TQ3081SW SHAFTESBURY AVENUE
798-1/105/1852 (South East side)
No.236
The Bloomsbury Public House

GV II

Public house. 1904. By C Fitzroy Doll, surveyor to the Bedford
Estate and the local District Surveyor. Red brick with white
terracotta decoration, slate roof hidden behind parapet and
with massive banded stacks.
EXTERIOR: 4 storeys and cellars. Prominent corner site
dominated by 2-storey oriel with copper dome over entrance,
with single window to Shaftesbury Avenue and 4 to West Central
Street. Oriel of white terracotta with hefty mouldings and
decorated panels; other windows above ground floor mullion and
transom, those to first floor in continuous white surround;
the upper windows linked by bands and those in centre of West
Central Street composition lowered. Restored ground floor with
late C20 fenestration having heraldic glass set in black
polished granite surrounds featuring columns with lion
capitals.
INTERIOR retains 1904 Arts and Crafts style fireplaces to
ground and first floors. Open-well staircase with turned
timber balustrades and panelled walls. Some panelling to first
floor bar and to rear of ground floor bar, which has original
cornice behind later bar back but where the bar counter and
the fixed seating has been renewed in historicist style.

Listing NGR: TQ3014481431

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.