History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Stuckey and Bagehot Warehouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Langport, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0364 / 51°2'11"N

Longitude: -2.8342 / 2°50'3"W

OS Eastings: 341602

OS Northings: 126670

OS Grid: ST416266

Mapcode National: GBR MD.GXDW

Mapcode Global: FRA 46YC.X84

Entry Name: Former Stuckey and Bagehot Warehouse

Listing Date: 10 November 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1271727

English Heritage Legacy ID: 471650

Location: Langport, South Somerset, Somerset, TA10

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Langport

Built-Up Area: Langport

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Langport

Listing Text

ST 4026 LANGPORT BOW STREET

1090/0/10003 Former Stuckey and
Bagehot Warehouse

GV II


Warehouse. Circa late C18, extended circa 1820 and 1837; built for the Parrett Navigation Company. English bond red brick, with Flemish bond extensions. Clay plain tile roofs with hipped ends.
PLAN: Long rectangular plan 2-storey main range, with single storey wing at rear [N] added in circa 1820 and extended on east side in about 1837.
EXTERIOR: 2 storey main range with 3:3 bay south front, with blocked loading doors to left and right on ground and first floors, flanked by small windows with 2-light frames; all windows and doorways have cambered brick arches; another blocked window to right of centre. Single-storey wings at rear [N], the west wing possibly originally open-ended.
INTERIOR: Ground floor of main range divided into two bays with brick cross-walls; unchamfered floor beams; 10-bay tie-beam and king-post roof trusses with struts and with staggered butt-purlins. Stairs with stone treads now within rear wing against rear wall of main range. Rear wing has aisled tie-beam roof.
NOTE: This warehouse was built by the Parrett Navigation Company, a trading company owned by Vincent Stuckey and Walter Bagehot.


Listing NGR: ST4160226670

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.