History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Windmill (In Grounds of Yewdells)

A Grade II Listed Building in Buckland, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2426 / 51°14'33"N

Longitude: -0.2527 / 0°15'9"W

OS Eastings: 522065

OS Northings: 150721

OS Grid: TQ220507

Mapcode National: GBR JHY.2XP

Mapcode Global: VHGS8.K1S7

Entry Name: Windmill (In Grounds of Yewdells)

Listing Date: 12 June 1997

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1271903

English Heritage Legacy ID: 468720

Location: Buckland, Mole Valley, Surrey, RH3

County: Surrey

District: Mole Valley

Civil Parish: Buckland

Built-Up Area: Buckland

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Buckland

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
Betchworth

Listing Text

TQ 24 SW BUCKLAND DUNGATES LANE

1896/0/10002 Windmill (in grounds
of Yewdells)

GV II

Sawmill workshop. Built between 1860 and 1876 probably as a wind-powered sawmill workshop for the Buckland Court Estate. Timber-framed building clad in weatherboarding on brick plinth. Half-hipped oak-shingled roof, the flat part leaded and with tapering cylindrical tower. Square structure about 12x12 feet and 2 storeys with further storey 9 feet high. Front has 2 plank doors with iron hinges and 4 fixed casement windows. Right side has weatherboarded lean-to. INTERIOR: cross patterned timbers to wall frame which may be reused from the old parish church rebuilt in 1860. The first floor is reached by a ladder staircase and a further staircase gives access to the tower. At the time of survey the shuttered sails, fantail, cog patterns and other components were stored in a nearby garage. A metal plaque with the name "W Cooper Engineer Henfield" dates the structure to between 1860 and 1876 when he was a millwright. As the components are in such good condition and it is so rare to find cog patterns it is thought that the structure was abandoned before completely assembled. Although there are at least 3 documented examples of wind-powered sawmill workshops this is thought to be the only example surviving in the United Kingdom.


Listing NGR: TQ2207450708

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.