History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Numbers 18 and 19 and Attached Railings to Front and Brick Walls to Rear

A Grade II* Listed Building in Frognal and Fitzjohns, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5553 / 51°33'19"N

Longitude: -0.1797 / 0°10'46"W

OS Eastings: 526295

OS Northings: 185621

OS Grid: TQ262856

Mapcode National: GBR D0.MCL

Mapcode Global: VHGQR.T5WH

Entry Name: Numbers 18 and 19 and Attached Railings to Front and Brick Walls to Rear

Listing Date: 11 August 1950

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1271912

English Heritage Legacy ID: 476946

Location: Camden, London, NW3

County: London

District: Camden

London Borough Ward: Frognal and Fitzjohns

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St John Hampstead

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Hampstead

Listing Text


CAMDEN

TQ2685NW CHURCH ROW
798-1/26/230 (South side)
11/08/50 Nos.18 AND 19
and attached railings to front and
brick walls to rear

GV II*

Pair of terraced houses. c1717-20, refaced late C19 in
Georgian style. Multi-coloured stock brick with red brick
dressings and band at 1st floor level. Tiled mansard roofs
with dormers.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, attics and basements. Late C19
architraved doorcases with plain bracketed hoods; radial
patterned fanlights and panelled doors. Gauged red brick
segmental arches to slightly recessed sashes with exposed
boxing. Single sashes on metal hinges. Brick and stone cornice
to parapet. Each house with lead lion mask rainwater head and
pipe. Rear elevations: No.18 three windows wide with
first-floor canted bay supported on stilts, ground floor with
small glazed conservatory. No.19 also three windows wide with
closet projecting from rear staircase, and projecting bay to
ground floor. Both houses have flush sash windows under canted
gauged brick heads.
INTERIORS: survive remarkably complete. No.18 has hallway
fully panelled with ovolo mouldings, cornice and dado, square
arch to staircase hall. Closed string stair with turned
balusters from ground to attic floor; stick baluster stair
leads to basement. Each principal floor has two main rooms,
with staircase compartment set to rear. Ground floor front
room fully panelled with ovolo mouldings, moulded dado and box
cornices; simple C18 fireplace with C19 grate lined in faience
tiles. Ground floor back room has corner fireplace, unmoulded
panelling with cornice and dado that continues into canted
bay. First floor front room is fully panelled with ovolo
mouldings, shutters, dado and box cornices; the first floor
rear room with C20 partition but retains full panelling with
cornice and dado, and corner fireplace. Upper parts of
stairway with panelling to dado level only. Second floor front
room with half-height panelling, plank door, early C18 arched
fireplace, cupboard and shutters. Second floor rear room has
C18 arched fireplace, half-height panelling with cornice and
shutters. Third (attic) floor has front rooms remodelled in
1920s by Leslie Moore, who moved here in 1923, with tiny
fireplace, cupboard and Yorkshire sliding sashes. Third floor
rear room has plank door, and cupboards by Moore. Basement


with kitchen and scullery, having large open fireplace, bread
cupboard, corner cupboard, early C19 glass cupboard (all
fitted) and plank door. Rear room with C18 corner fireplace,
gypsum floor.
No.19 similar. Hallway has full panelling with ovolo moulding,
and gives on to staircase hall through flat pilaster arch.
Closed string staircase with turned balusters from basement to
attic, with full height panelling to second floor having
corresponding dado panels; the dado panels alone continue to
upper floors. All principal floors with two rooms per floor,
with staircase compartment set at rear. Ground floor front
room fully panelled with ovolo mouldings, dado and box
cornice, alcove with curved shelving and cupboard. Early C19
grate. Ground floor rear room has corner fireplace. Some small
panels over dadoes and a cornice that is perhaps early C19 to
go with canted bay. First floor front room with full-height
ovolo moulded panelling with shutters, dadoes and box cornice,
early C19 fireplace with grate. First floor rear room also
fully panelled with shutters, with corner fireplace and C19
tiled grate. Second floor front room with early C18 fireplace,
with faience tiles and later grate; second floor rear room
with corner fireplace. Third floor has Edwardian grates,
casement windows behind parapet; rear room has plank door.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings with urn and
torch flambe finials.
HISTORICAL NOTE: No.18 was the home of Thomas Park
(1759-1838), "poetical antiquary" (Hampstead Antiquarian and
Historical Society plaque). The houses of Church Row form a
most important early C18 group.

Listing NGR: TQ2629385620

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.