History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Numbers 24-28 and Attached Railings to Front and Walls to Rear

A Grade II* Listed Building in Frognal and Fitzjohns, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5554 / 51°33'19"N

Longitude: -0.1789 / 0°10'44"W

OS Eastings: 526347

OS Northings: 185633

OS Grid: TQ263856

Mapcode National: GBR D0.ML3

Mapcode Global: VHGQR.V58F

Entry Name: Numbers 24-28 and Attached Railings to Front and Walls to Rear

Listing Date: 11 August 1950

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1271917

English Heritage Legacy ID: 476951

Location: Camden, London, NW3

County: London

District: Camden

London Borough Ward: Frognal and Fitzjohns

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St John Hampstead

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Hampstead

Listing Text


CAMDEN

TQ2685NW CHURCH ROW
798-1/26/235 (South side)
11/08/50 Nos.24-28 (Consecutive)
and attached railings to front and
walls to rear

GV II*

Includes: No.13A HEATH STREET.
6 terraced houses, No.28, now offices with basement
restaurant. Probably built by 1720; refaced late C19 in
Georgian style by Charles Bean King, a builder who specialised
in Neo-Georgian work in Hampstead and whose office was at
No.28.
No.24: brown brick with red brick dressings. Slated mansard
roof with segmental-arched dormers. 3 storeys, attic and
basement. 3 windows. Early C19 doorcase with panelled pilaster
strips and jambs, impost bands, roundels flanking arched
entrance with keystone and cornice. Patterned fanlight and
panelled door. Gauged red brick cambered arches to slightly
recessed sashes with exposed boxing; 1st floor central window
with cut and rubbed brick fleur-de-lys, trade mark of CB King.
Plain brick 1st floor sill band. Cornice. Lead lion mask
rainwater head and pipe to right.
INTERIOR: entrance hall now opened into ground floor rooms,
but otherwise retaining the general pattern of two rooms per
floor with rear closet set on landing as found in some
neighbouring houses. Open string staircase with three twisted
balusters per tread, decorated tread ends and fluted newels;
ramped handrails are matched by the line of the dado in the
full-height wall panelling. Flight from second to attic floor
has turned, unfluted balusters. Ground floor front room with
raised and fielded panelling, and bolection-moulded fireplace
lined in faience tiles. Ground floor rear room in sumptuous
early C19 style with curved doors in fluted doorcases, and
corresponding canted bay set with fluted pilasters. Fluted
decoration also to fireplace, which is lined with faience
tiles. Rear closet on half landing with raised and fielded
panelling. First floor front room has early C19 cornice and
fireplace corresponding with the lowered windows. First floor
rear room with c1820s cornice and fluted doorcases. Second
floor front has two rooms, the larger retaining early C18
panelling with dado rail and early C19 fireplace and fluted
cornice. The rear room at this level similarly treated.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings with urn
finials to area with cast-iron overthrow having Windsor


lantern to front. Brick walls to long garden at rear.
HISTORICAL NOTE: home of the Victorian architect, GF Bodley.
No.25: brown brick with red brick dressings. 4 storeys and
basement. 3 windows. Architraved doorway with enriched
console-brackets carrying cornice hood; radial patterned
fanlight and panelled door. Gauged red brick cambered arches
to slightly recessed sashes with exposed boxing; 2nd floor
central window extended upwards. Plain brick 1st floor sill
band. Parapet. INTERIOR: not inspected but noted to retain
turned baluster staircase on closed string with corresponding
dado. Full panelling on staircase to second floor, with
recessed moulded panels and box cornices. Most rooms fully
panelled, and retaining early C18 fireplaces.
HISTORICAL NOTE: home of Wilkie Collins, author.
No.26: brown brick with red brick dressings. Slated mansard
roof with dormers. 3 storeys, attic and basement. 3 windows.
Early C19 doorcase with fluted surround and cornice on paired
brackets; round-arched doorway with pilaster-jambs,
architraved head with keystone, radial patterned fanlight and
panelled door. Gauged red brick cambered arches to slightly
recessed sashes with exposed boxing. Plain brick 1st floor
sill band. Parapet with cornice.
INTERIOR: survives particularly well, with plan of two rooms
per floor and rear closet. Hallway with raised and fielded
panelling, dado rail and box cornice; fluted pilaster archway
gives on to broader staircase hall. Staircase with open string
and twisted balusters, three per tread, and decorated tread
ends. Fluted newels are matched by corresponding pilasters to
dado height in the wall panelling. Full-height raised and
fielded panelling to second floor, above this closed string
stair with ovolo-moulded panelling and box cornices.
Ground floor front room is fully panelled with dado, box
cornice, shutters, and buffet arch the width of the room.
Simple C18 fireplace surround lined with faience tiles. Ground
floor rear room is fully panelled with dado rail and box
cornice extending into closet area, and has C18 fireplace with
unmoulded surround and carved dentil mantlepiece.
First floor front room with full-height raised and fielded
panelling, shutters, box cornice and dado, C19 fireplace
surround to marble fillet. First floor rear room reached via
double folding doors with H-shaped hinges, it has
ovolo-moulded panelling that continues into closet, the main
space with C18 fireplace and closet with one of C19.
Second floor front room in two halves, both fully lined in
ovolo-moulded panelling with box cornices, dado rails and
shutters. The larger room has C18 fireplace lined with faience
tiles. Second floor rear room fully lined with similar
panelling and also with C18 fireplace and tiles.


Third floor front has two rooms, divided by horizontal
boarding to dado height, and cupboards. Third floor rear room
with simple square fireplace under separate shelves,
horizontal boarding to dado height, and leads into closet with
canted window containing heraldic glass. Some ovolo-moulded
panels under cornices.
Attic has single, compartmented room with C19 grate, reached
via narrow stair with tiny C18 handrail. Basement staircase
with turned balusters. Basement has plank doors, the front
room with large kitchen fireplace under mantle shelf, and
shutters.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings with urn
finials to front and brick walls to long garden at rear.
HISTORICAL NOTE: home of the Victorian architect George
Gilbert Scott Jnr; son, (Sir) Giles born here 1880. Also of
Lord Alfred Douglas from 1907.
No.27: similar to No.25 but round-arched architraved doorway
with enriched console-brackets carrying cornice hood,
pilaster-jambs, architraved head with keystone; radial
patterned fanlight and panelled door. Lead lion mask rainwater
head to right.
INTERIOR: not inspected but noted to retain turned twisted
baluster staircase on open string with decorated ends in fully
panelled staircase hall. Ground floor front room fully
panelled with marble fireplace and cast-iron grate, decorated
overmantel, box cornices and dadoes. Fully panelled first
floor front room with box cornices and dado rail, and
bolection moulded fireplace. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: cast-iron
railings to area but left of door, rare survival of C19 wooden
post and rail surround.
HISTORICAL NOTE: home of George du Maurier whose son (Sir)
Gerald was born here, and home of the folk song & dance
expert, Cecil Sharp.
No.28: yellow stock brick. Slated roof with dormers. 3
storeys, attic and basement. 3 windows wide, with left-hand
entrance similar to No.27. Gauged brick cambered arches to
slightly recessed sashes with exposed boxing. Entablature
fascia at 1st floor level where oversails adjoining No.13A
Heath Street, with two windows (taller and wider) and two
window return to Heath Street. Stone cornice. On left-hand
angle, a late C19 elaborate lamp bracket of foliated scroll
design with central floral feature, with Nico lantern.
INTERIOR: late C20 door leads to panelled hallway with
Corinthian pilasters and turned baluster stair with
barleysugar twists. Ground floor panelled with box cornices
and bolection-moulded fireplaces. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES:
attached cast-iron railings with torch flambe finials to
areas.


HISTORICAL NOTE: during 1850s a Catholic school, 1860s a Home
for the Rescue of Young Women, 1870s a Female Servants' Home,
1890s CB King the builder's office, home of the artist
Muirhead Bone, author Compton Mackenzie and in 1908 became the
office of the Women's Co-operative Guild and Margaret Llewelyn
Davies.


CAMDEN

TQ2685NW HEATH STREET
798-1/26/235 No.13A
11/08/50

GV II*

See under: Nos.24-28 and attached railings to front and walls
to rear CHURCH ROW.


Listing NGR: TQ2636285635

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.