This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.0794 / 53°4'45"N
Longitude: -2.0406 / 2°2'26"W
OS Eastings: 397376
OS Northings: 353571
OS Grid: SJ973535
Mapcode National: GBR 24W.T27
Mapcode Global: WHBCH.MVHN
Entry Name: St Edwards Hospital
Listing Date: 14 July 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1271999
English Heritage Legacy ID: 468788
Location: Cheddleton, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST13
District: Staffordshire Moorlands
Civil Parish: Cheddleton
Built-Up Area: St. Edward's Park
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Cheddleton St Edward the Confessor
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ95SE CHEDDLETON CHEDDLETON
1798- /5/10009 St Edward's Hospital
Psychiatric hospital, built as the North Staffordshire Asylum. c1895-1899 to 1893 competition winning designs by Giles, Gough and Trollope. Wall Grange faced bricks with red sandstone dressings and cill and floor bands. Slated gabled roofs with tall brick chimney stacks; central bay tower has an ogee cupola with weathervane. Echelon plan of 4 pavilions stepped back each side and linked by corridors to a central service core including the administration block, recreation hall and water tower. Jacobean style. Mostly 2 storeys. Symmetrical administration block of 2 storeys and attics: 5 windows. Projecting outer bays and slightly projecting central bay. Entrance, in central 5-storey tower bay, with projecting sandstone portico having a central round-arched doorway with radial fanlight and 2-leaf panelled timber doors. Portico surmounted by a balustrade to 2 storeys of canted bay windows, the uppermost with carved and patterned aprons; above, 2 stories of 2-light windows, the upper with enriched aprons. Each facade of the tower terminates with a brick pediment set with a clock face. Flanking bays of paired sashes to each floor, the attic under small gables. Outer bays have canted sash bay windows to ground and 1st floors and paired sashes attic ashes under large gables. Pavilions in a similar but simplified style. Water tower, set in central courtyard,of 7 storeys on a 2-storey square plinth, boldly chamfered to octagonal. Extensively corbelled out on 2 stages on top 2 storeys and finished by gablets to broader sides; 2-light mullioned windows inset into broader sides and smaller 2-light windows to final stages. Faceted conical slated roof. Interior: Board Room has shallow moulded panels and cornice; stone chimneypiece. Recreation hall has a hammerbeam roof, mostly now with a false ceiling, and a stage. History: St Edward's was the 3rd Staffordshire Asylum and is a good example of a medium size mature echelon plan by the architects who were the first to build an asylum of this sort in 1880. G T Hine, Consulting Architect to the Commissioners in Lunacy, described St Edward's in a 1901 RIBA Journal article as "the best, in my opinion, of Messrs. Giles, Gough and Trollope's designs". It was built to house 800 patients, the western half housing females, the eastern male and divided into Infirm, Recent and Active sections with male and female epileptic blocks running across the back to the south of workshops and a laundry.
The water tower was first included in the statutory list on 15 December 1986.
Listing NGR: SJ9737653571
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings