History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Alban the Martyr

A Grade II* Listed Building in Holborn and Covent Garden, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5197 / 51°31'11"N

Longitude: -0.1109 / 0°6'39"W

OS Eastings: 531168

OS Northings: 181781

OS Grid: TQ311817

Mapcode National: GBR M9.8D

Mapcode Global: VHGR0.1279

Entry Name: Church of St Alban the Martyr

Listing Date: 24 October 1951

Last Amended: 11 January 1999

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1272353

English Heritage Legacy ID: 476759

Location: Camden, London, EC1N

County: London

District: Camden

Electoral Ward/Division: Holborn and Covent Garden

Built-Up Area: Camden

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Alban Holborn

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Holborn

Listing Text


CAMDEN

TQ3181NW BROOKE STREET
798-1/102/117 (North side)
24/10/51 Church of St Alban the Martyr
(Formerly Listed as:
BROOKE STREET
Church of St Alban)

GV II*

Church. Designed 1859, built 1861-62, architect William
Butterfield. Chapel 1891 by CHM Mileham. Burnt out 1941 and
restored 1959-61 by Adrian Gilbert Scott. Red and yellow stock
bricks with stone dressings. Tiled roofs. 7 bays in Gothic
style.
EXTERIOR: very tall, wide, aisled church with short transepts
abutting western tower with saddleback roof. Tower with
projecting, gabled central window with a small turret over. To
either side tall, narrow, Geometric traceried windows. Site
restrictions forced a blank east wall. Entrance through south
transept which forms a small chapel. In entry approach 'Jesus
being Raised from the Dead', sculpture of 1985 by Hans
Feibusch.
INTERIOR: Scott's simple but dignified scheme replacing
Butterfield's elaborate decoration. Tower opens into the nave
by a great arch (Butterfield's). Arcade rebuilt with stone to
lower levels, rendered above. Two-bay chancel with aisles of
one bay and east wall covered by a mural, 'The Trinity in
Glory', by Hans Feibusch, 1966. Stations of the Cross by
Feibusch. Some painted decoration on ribs of ceiling.
Cast-iron parclose screens to aisle chapels. West gallery with
organ. Mackonochie chapel by CHM Mileham survived bombing,
with stained glass 1885 and 1898 by CE Kempe; two stations of
the cross 1912 by Ninian Comper. St Alban's was one of
Butterfield's finest mature works, and remains a powerful
composition.
(Thompson P: William Butterfield: London: -1971).

Listing NGR: TQ3116881781

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.