History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hobstones Cottages and hobstones Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Colne, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8713 / 53°52'16"N

Longitude: -2.181 / 2°10'51"W

OS Eastings: 388195

OS Northings: 441695

OS Grid: SD881416

Mapcode National: GBR FR6N.MZ

Mapcode Global: WHB7K.GYNK

Entry Name: Hobstones Cottages and hobstones Farmhouse

Listing Date: 29 January 1953

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1272929

English Heritage Legacy ID: 186262

Location: Colne, Pendle, Lancashire, BB8

County: Lancashire

District: Pendle

Civil Parish: Colne

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Foulridge St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Foulridge

Listing Text


SD 84 SE
7/111

COLNE
(off) SMITHY LANE
Hobstones Farmhouse and Nos 2 and 3 Hobstones Cottages

29.1.53

II*
Originally a farmhouse and cottage. Now farmhouse and 2 cottages. Early C18 of several dates, but on earlier core. Stone. Stone slate roof, moulded coping, kneelers and square gutter corbels. 2 storeys. Jettied porch on left has doorway with massive lintel and incised datestone S/E E/1700. Moulding continued through lintel and jambs. One 3-light Venetian window. Wider, 2-storeyed projection to right with one 6-light chamfered stone mullion window. Double 3-light Venetian window above. Dated S/E E/1710 in apex. C17 doorway on each floor in return. That on 1st floor, blocked. To left of porch one 3-light window. One 3-light window with wide centre light and one 2-light window above. Middle section: one 3-light and one 4-light window above. Plain doorway. The ground floor and Venetian windows have moulded and returned dripstones. Interior has inglenook and beehive oven at rear. Single storey extension to right not of special interest. Initials are for Edward and Jenet Stephenson. House already divided by 1756. (27/p144/RCHM).


Listing NGR: SD8819541695

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.