History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Independent Methodist Church Including Steps and Railings to Street

A Grade II* Listed Building in Barnoldswick, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.9147 / 53°54'52"N

Longitude: -2.1904 / 2°11'25"W

OS Eastings: 387591

OS Northings: 446519

OS Grid: SD875465

Mapcode National: GBR FR45.LF

Mapcode Global: WHB7C.BV6T

Entry Name: Independent Methodist Church Including Steps and Railings to Street

Listing Date: 29 January 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1273192

English Heritage Legacy ID: 186158

Location: Barnoldswick, Pendle, Lancashire, BB18

County: Lancashire

District: Pendle

Civil Parish: Barnoldswick

Built-Up Area: Barnoldswick

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Find accommodation in
Barnoldswick

Listing Text

SD 84 NE BARNOLDSWICK WALMSGATE
(South side)

1317/3/26 Independent Methodist
Church including steps
And railings to street

II*

Chapel. Dated 1892. Ornate facade. Gable front with pediment and urn. Symmetrical, 2 central doors with fanlights and segmental heads on pilasters. 4 Corinthian, partially fluted pilasters surmounted by frieze with fleuron decoration and 'Independent Methodist' in relief. Above this a dentilled Renaissance balustrade has urns and a panel containing the date. 2 ground floor windows with segmental heads. 5 arch-headed windows in upper storey, the centre 3 grouped over balustrade. All windows have margin glazing. Cast-iron railings with stone gate piers. Gates are modern. INTERIOR: Oval gallery supported on fluted timber columns with Corinthian capitals. Curved gallery beam with decorative plasterwork to beam soffit, and cantilevered brackets carrying gallery front decorated with blind arcading. Below gallery, to centre of chapel, a full set of fixed curved benches with scroll decoration to the bench ends. Vertical dado boarding with panelled top to side and end walls, and at both ends, half-glazed panelled doors with plasterwork segmental pediments above overflights. Reading desk with turned baluster dogleg stairs to each side, incorporating curved and moulded handrails, and elaborate finials. Lower section of desk is panelled, with segmentally-arched recess. Arcaded upper part with tall metal lampstands to corners. Gallery with full set of curved fixed benches. Organ case with flanking plaster pilasters and doorways to rear stairs. Double-doored vestibules at entrance end lead onto gallery stairs, the doors half-glazed with margin glazing. Coffered panelled ceiling with
with decorative plaster cornice and beam soffits. Ribbed plaster decoration to panels, some incorporating pendant finials.


Listing NGR: SD8759146519

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.