This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2784 / 51°16'42"N
Longitude: 0.5239 / 0°31'25"E
OS Eastings: 576126
OS Northings: 156279
OS Grid: TQ761562
Mapcode National: GBR PR1.THJ
Mapcode Global: VHJMF.1499
Entry Name: The Rotunda at Maidstone Prison
Listing Date: 26 July 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1273893
English Heritage Legacy ID: 173251
Location: Maidstone, Kent, ME14
Electoral Ward/Division: North
Built-Up Area: Maidstone
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
The Rotunda at
TQ 7656 SW 5/179C 26.7.73.
Built between 1809 and 1811 by Daniel Alexander. This is the only remaining
Turnkey's House, of 4. Originally the building was attached to buildings on
all 4 sides for reasons of security. It is now all one floor with basement
but appears originally to have been 3 storeys and basement. Built of Kentish
ragstone. Slate roof with wide moulded eaves cornice. Stringcourse from 1st
floor to ground floor. Circular in shape but the 2 lover floors splay out on
all 4 aides and were originally attached to other buildings. The 2nd floor
windows are blank sashes. The 1st floot has 2 round-headed windows on each
elevation. The ground floor has fixed windows set in segmental openings with
cast iron columns. Attached to Theatre block on ground floor. Domed interior.
All the listed buildings at Maidstone Prison form a group.
Listing NGR: TQ7612656279
Other nearby listed buildings