History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Our Lady of the Assumption Roman Catholic Church

A Grade II* Listed Building in West End, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5112 / 51°30'40"N

Longitude: -0.138 / 0°8'16"W

OS Eastings: 529311

OS Northings: 180784

OS Grid: TQ293807

Mapcode National: GBR FD.5G

Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.K8FV

Entry Name: Our Lady of the Assumption Roman Catholic Church

Listing Date: 24 February 1958

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1273895

English Heritage Legacy ID: 207498

Location: Westminster, London, W1F

County: London

District: City of Westminster

Electoral Ward/Division: West End

Built-Up Area: City of Westminster

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St James Piccadilly

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Marylebone

Listing Text

TQ 2980 NW CITY OF WESTMINSTER WARWICK STREET Wl
70/110
Our Lady of the
24-2-58 Assumption Roman
Catholic Church
- II*
Built as the Portuguse Embassy Chapel c. 1730, transferred to the
Bavarian Embassy in 1736; rebuilt 1788 after the Gordon Riots.
Red brick, slate roof. Deliberately domestic looking elevation.
2 storeys. 3 window wide pedimented centre with narrow flanking
bays. Central corniced doorway and flanking flat gauged brick
arched windows. 1st floor level has 3 blind semicircular arched
windows. Stone bracket cornice and pediment. Inside the western
part of the Chapel has retained its C18 character with galleries
around 3 sides on wood grained columns with Adam style capitals
and ceiling plasterwork in similar vein. Cast iron gallery balustrades
by Bentley who shortened them when he altered the east end in a Veneto-
Byzantine manner from 1874 onwards, the apse faced in grey marble
panels with mosaics of 1910 and the saints in panels even later.
Font of 1788. Large relief sculptures of the Assumption, formerly part
of High Altar by J. E. Carew, 1853. Early C19 Italian neo-
classical altar originating from Foxcote House, Ilmington, Warwicks.
Survey of London; vol XXXI


Listing NGR: TQ2931180784

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.