This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8868 / 52°53'12"N
Longitude: -1.7671 / 1°46'1"W
OS Eastings: 415768
OS Northings: 332174
OS Grid: SK157321
Mapcode National: GBR 4BD.414
Mapcode Global: WHCFQ.TPQS
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 13 September 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1273942
English Heritage Legacy ID: 416704
Location: Sudbury, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE6
District: Derbyshire Dales
Civil Parish: Sudbury
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Sudbury All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 13 SE PARISH OF SUDBURY MAIN ROAD
3/63 (West Side)
13.9.67 Church of All Saints
Parish church. C12, early C14, early C15, 1827 and extensive restoration 1872-5
by George Devey. Sandstone ashlar, lead roofs with stone coped gables. Moulded
plinth band. West tower, clerestoried nave with aisles and south porch, chancel
and north chapel. Low west tower with diagonal buttresses. Moulded stringcourse
at arch springing level of west window. Two-light west window with renewed Dec
tracery, and hoodmould continuous with the stringcourse. 2-light bell-openings
on each face with simple Dec tracery. Eight short pinnacles and C18 balustrade.
Gabled south porch and aisle with plain parapets. 2-light Dec style west window.
3-light Perp style east window and two plain square headed 3-light windows to
south with Dec style tracery. Angle buttresses and one intermiediate buttress. The
north aisle is also gabled, with a plain parapet and similar West window. The
north side has a blocked C14 ogee-headeddoorway with moulded hoodmould and above it
a carved relief of an angel. C15 window of 4-lights under a triangular head and
with a transom. Projecting vestry and organ chamber of 1827 with Dec style windows.
The north chapel has a bricked up north window with square head and a 2-light Dec
style east window with transom and a small quatrefoil window over. The chancel has
a steeply pitched roof, two square headed 2-light windows to south, with transom
and ogee lights. Between them a low buttress and priests doorway. Impressive
6-light early C14 Style east window. Nave clerestory has battlements and three
2-light windows with ogee headed lights under flat heads. Restored C12 south door-
way with a continuous roll moulding and one order of colonnettes. Studded plank
door with iron C-hinges. Interior.3-bay north and south arcades with double
chamfered arches and hoodmoulds. The north arcade on circular piers the south on
octagonal. Capitals with nailhead decoration. The arcades are probably early C14
but in their present appearance look C19. Double chamfered tower arch, the
capitals with nailhead. Double chamfered chancel arch dying into the imposts.
Double chamfered arch to organ chamber with a coved parapet wall forming a
balcony. To the right a small much restored C12 window. Double chamfered arch
from the north aisle to the north chapel on corbels with nailhead. Moulded four-
centred arch to inner chapel. Pointed wooden tunnel vault to chancel. Nave and
aisles have panelled roofs with tie beams and curved braces on angel corbels. Roofs
all date from 1872. Monuments. Pair of marble tablets with black inlay lettering
c1646 (South porch). Marble tablet to Thomas Freer, died 1904, with carved relief
(chancel north). Brass to the fifth Baron Vernon, died 1866 by Hart, Son Peard
& Co of London (nave north). Elaborate neo-Quattrocento tablet c1898 to the sixth
Baron Vernon; tablet with heavy bolection moulded surround, to Robert Smith died
1721 (both in north aisle). In the north chapel: John Vernon died 1600 and his
wife Mary died 1622, she on a tomb chest, he above under an arch between baluster
columns. Two defaced effigies of women c1300. Tablet to George Vernon died 1780.
Plain tablet to Anne Vernon, died 1837, by Hall. George Vernon, died 1702, fine
aedicule wall tablet with coat of arms above, by Edward Stanton, erected in 1710.
St Thomas Vernon died 1709, large wall tablet. Margaret Vernon died 1675 a
freestanding monument with urn on a pedestal, possibly by Edward Pierce. Five wall
tablets in the south aisle: George and Frances Vernon died 1835 and 1837 Grecian
twin stelae in relief by John Francis of London. Martha Vernon died 1808,
Cathaline Vernon died 1776, two identical ,Grecian, style tablets. Henry Vernon
died 1829, Gothic. Two Vernon children died 1862, pretty oval showing the two
asleep and a few trails of blossom. Brass beneath by Waller. Rich C19 tiled floor
in chancel. C14 cusped ogee piscina (chancel south). C19 Alabaster reredos. C19
woodwork. Victorian gothic font. Stained glass in the east window given in 1849 by
Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, bright colours, flat and pictorial, figure scenes
in architectural setting. It was later toned down by a semi-opaque coating on the
outside. Said to be by a German artist. Seven other late C19 stained glass windows.
Some of the south aisle windows may be by Burlison and Grylls.
Listing NGR: SK1576832174
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings