History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

152-160, Wardour Street W1

A Grade II Listed Building in West End, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.515 / 51°30'53"N

Longitude: -0.135 / 0°8'5"W

OS Eastings: 529508

OS Northings: 181211

OS Grid: TQ295812

Mapcode National: GBR FC.V2

Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.M50Y

Entry Name: 152-160, Wardour Street W1

Listing Date: 24 January 1969

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1274061

English Heritage Legacy ID: 207458

Location: Westminster, London, W1F

County: London

District: City of Westminster

Electoral Ward/Division: West End

Built-Up Area: City of Westminster

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Anne Soho

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Holborn

Listing Text

In the entry for:
TQ 2981 SW & SE CITY OF WESTMINSTER WARDOUR STREET, W1
57/34; 58/4
24.1.69 Nos. 152 to 160 (even)
GV II
the description shall be amended to read as follows:

Commercial premises. 1906 by F L Pearson, built for Novello's music publishers. Red brick with
lavish stone dressings in Portland ashlar, slate roof Free style underpinned by careful reference
to Nordic late Renaissance, viz Pevsner 'The Hanseatic Town Hall' and comparison with the
Bremen Rathaus. 3 storeys and deep dormered mansard. Stone columned arcaded ground floor
in a free Ionic order with depressed arches projecting to carry 5 windows wide full-height upper
storey with large transomed 3-light windows surmounted by pediments alternately segmental and
triangular. There are side entrances but the former main entrance is in left recessed bay with
elaborate oriel window above. Entablature over ground floor, large bracketed stone cornice and
parapet with coiling. Plainer return to Sheraton Street 6 windows wide.
Interior continues classical theme in more late C17 English style. Main entrance leads into hall
panelled in plaster imitating wood. Fireplace witheared and scrolled surround. Rectangular
opening set with cartouche and swags under heavy egg and dart cornice leads to open stairwell
closely modelled on Ashburnham House, Westminster School (q.v.). Cantilevered stair with
bulbous balusters and rail. Giant Ionic order above egg and dart dado, its base set in a band of
fruit and swags, and with panels featuring musical instruments. Heavily banded flat ceiling is
broken by central cupola, with paired Corinthian columns. Double screen of Ionic columns leads
to anteroom with heavy cornice and bolection-moulded fireplace under massive cartouche of fruit
and flowers. Double door with openwork swags leads to Great Hall, a recital room 5 bays by 3
and of double height. Bolection-moulded wooden panelling and giant fluted Corinthian order,
musicians' gallery with curly balusters reached by dog-leg stair. Trabeated ceiling has modillion
cornice. Matching 3-bay ends have central double doors under broken segmental pediments with
Corinthian columns and busts, flanked by glazed bookcases. Windows have shutters and scroll
pediments. 2 chandeliers.
Rear part of premises 1898 by F L Pearson as printing and binding departments is a simplified
version, with three storeys, arcaded ground floor, two main upper floors with cross-mullioned
windows and attic above cornice.
Source: Survey of London vol.XXXIII, 1966

------------------------------------

TQ 2981 SW & SE CITY OF WESTMINSTER WARDOUR STREET, W1
57/34; 58/4
Nos. 152 to 160 (even)
24.1.69
GV II
Commercial premises. 1906 by the younger F.L. Pearson,built for Novello's. Red
brick with lavish stone dressings in Portland ashlar, slate roof. Free Style
underpinned by careful reference to Nordic late Renaissance,viz Pevsner "the
Hanseatic Town Hall". 3 storeys and steep dormered mansard. Stone columned arcaded
ground floor in a free Ionic order with depressed arches projecting to carry 5
windows wide full height upper storey with large transomed 3 light windows surmounted
by pediments alternately segmental and triangular. There are side entrances
but the former main entrance is in left recessed bay with elaborate oriel window
above. Entablature over ground floor, large bracketed stone cornice and parapet with
coping. Plainer return to Sheraton Street 6 windows wide. Rear part of premises
date from 1898 with frontages to Sheraton and Hollen Streets, simplified version of
front block with 3 storeys, arcaded ground floor, 2 main upper floors with
cross-mullioned windows and attic above cornice.
Survey of London; Vol. XXXI


Listing NGR: TQ2950881211

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.