This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6641 / 51°39'50"N
Longitude: -0.619 / 0°37'8"W
OS Eastings: 495609
OS Northings: 197044
OS Grid: SU956970
Mapcode National: GBR F68.LB3
Mapcode Global: VHFSH.7F3P
Entry Name: Friends' Meeting House and Whielden Cottage
Listing Date: 22 December 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1274183
English Heritage Legacy ID: 415799
Location: Amersham, Chiltern, Buckinghamshire, HP7
Civil Parish: Amersham
Built-Up Area: Amersham
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Amersham with Coleshill
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU 9597 SE 7/192
WHIELDEN STREET (west side),
Friends' Meeting House and Whielden Cottage
Original house at south end c.1600 extended to 1689 to form a Meeting Room for Friends, who has used the building from about 1660. Extended further north late C18, when the Meeting House was refronted in red brick. Cottage refronted early C19. Old tile roof, hipped at north end, C17 brick stack to cottage, gable on left with 2-light casement door with bracketted hood, 2-light casement on left with segmental arch. Meeting House has 2-fold 6 flush panel doors with delicate astragal mouldings, wooden architrave and flat gauged arch. Two sash windows each side, all with wood cills, segmental arches and panelled shutters with ornamental iron fasteners. Rear elevation has four gabled wings, three weatherboarded, the southern one brick.
Interior: Cottage has exposed beams of c.1600. Meeting House is divided into two rooms by a screen with counterweighted shutters. Main room has plain dado panelling, wall benches and a stand, open backed benches with shaped ends. Setting: a large open burial ground on the north and west. Important associations with Quaker history.
Listing NGR: SU9560997044
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings