History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in Amersham, Buckinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6711 / 51°40'15"N

Longitude: -0.6145 / 0°36'52"W

OS Eastings: 495908

OS Northings: 197831

OS Grid: SU959978

Mapcode National: GBR F68.1H9

Mapcode Global: VHFSH.98H9

Entry Name: The Rectory

Listing Date: 22 December 1958

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1274380

English Heritage Legacy ID: 415353

Location: Amersham, Chiltern, Buckinghamshire, HP7

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Chiltern

Civil Parish: Amersham

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Amersham with Coleshill

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Amersham

Listing Text

1. AMERSHAM RECTORY HILL
5134 (west side)
The Rectory

SU 9597 NE 5/148 22.12.58

II


2.
c.1730. Yellow brick, hipped tile roof with 3 box dormers having 2-light leaded
casements. Parapet with moulded brick coping and dentil cornice. Two storeys,
basement and attics. South elevation has slight central projection with dentil
open pediment containing two-storey round-headed panel with impost bands. Five
double-hung sashes in reveals with sills and flay arches. Two flights of
converging steps with good wrought iron railings leading to central ground floor
door with oblong fanlight and surround of fluted Roman Ionic pilasters surmounted
by entablature with paterae and dentil cornice. North elevation has central
round-headed window to first floor flanked by one narrow sash window each side,
projecting stacks and narrow dummy windows. Early C19 2-storey slate roofed
lean-to with central pedimented porch having 6-panel door in architrave flanked
by two circular windows with architraves and wheel pattern glazing.
Red brick wing on east now attached by a wall. Tiled roof. 1-storey.
East elevation has two gables with brick coping and dummy lunettes, 3 double
hung sash windows with segmental arches. Cross wing on west side with similar
gable treatment.
(RCHM I p 3 MON (Panelling and Well House))


Listing NGR: SU9590897831

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.