This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9042 / 52°54'15"N
Longitude: -1.8322 / 1°49'55"W
OS Eastings: 411385
OS Northings: 334103
OS Grid: SK113341
Mapcode National: GBR 38L.ZJ9
Mapcode Global: WHCFP.T8QC
Entry Name: Church of St Cuthbert
Listing Date: 13 September 1967
Last Amended: 13 November 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1274523
English Heritage Legacy ID: 414993
Location: Doveridge, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE6
District: Derbyshire Dales
Civil Parish: Doveridge
Built-Up Area: Doveridge
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Doveridge St Cuthbert
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 13 SW PARISH OF DOVERIDGE CHURCH LANE
2/4 (West Side)
13.9.67 Church of St Cuthbert
Parish church. Late C12, C13, early C14, C15. Restorations in 1840 and 1869.
Sandstone ashlar, welsh slate south aisle roof, other roofs lead with coped gables.
West steeple, clerestoreyed nave with aisles and chancel. Chamfered plinth. Plain
parapet to clerestory and aisles. West tower of three stages with clasping
buttresses. The lower part late C12, remodelled and raised in the C13. C14 ashlar
spire, with one tier of lucarnes. C13 west doorway with one order of colonettes.
Two closely spaced lancet lights above under a single dogtooth hoodmould. To the
south a single narrow lancet, coupled lancets above under single dogtooth hoodmould,
and a small lancet above again. A similar arrangement to north. Battlements and
spire. North aisle has Dec west window of two cusped ogee lights, with hoodmould,
low double chamfered north door now enclosed in c1980 corridor leading to church
hall, not of listable quality. To the left are two 2-light Dec windows similar to
the west window and between them a buttress. Angle buttress and 3-light east window
with reticulated tracery. All windows with deep outer chamfer. The South aisle
has a 2-light west window of two cusped lancets with mouchettes and quatrefoil.
Hoodmould with head stops. The South side has a single chamfered doorway and
hoodmould with head stops. C20 doors. To the right two Dec windows either side of
a buttress as on the north side. Angle buttress and 3-light east window with
renewed reticulated tracery. Clerestory has to the south four 3-light windows,
the easternmost one has a segmental head and crudely trefoiled lights. The others
have plain mullions under flat arches. The north side has two similar windows, one
plain, the easternmost one as on the south. Tall chancel with blind clerestory.
To the north five tall lancets, double chamfered and partly recut. Hoodmould
continuing as string course. Heavy stringcourse at sill level of windows, above the
plinth and beneath the clerestory. One heavy C19 buttress, a buttress at the east
and west ends and two low buttresses. The South side from the east has three similar
lancets, a priests doorway with filleted roll moulding and hoodmould, and a tall
2-light C14 window with almost triangular headed dusped lights under one segmental
head. Four string courses as on the north side. Two large buttresses and two
smaller buttresses. Large 5-light Perp east window, much renewed, with panel
tracery. Buttresses on either side. Beneath the east window a wall tablet to
Katherine Wall died 1713, metal inscription plate with coat of arms and classical
stone aedicule. Interior has four bay south arcade and three bay north arcade.
octagonal piers and capitals and double chamfered arches. The capitals all look
re-cut. In the south aisles evidence of an earlier clerestory. Low tower arch,
double chamfered, the inner order on corbels low down, that to the south with a
head and nailhead. No chancel arch, nave and chancel continue uninterrupted.
Continuous moulded hoodmould over the windows and string course above. C15 nave
and chancel roof with arched braced tie beams. Moulded principal rafters and
purlins. North side of the chancel has a tomb recess with moulded arch. In front
of it a brass surround to Ralph Okeover died 1487. To the right two aumbrys, one
with an early C19 door. Double piscina on the south side with octagonal colonette
and moulded arches. C13. The right hand arch is cut into by a large wall
monument above, to William Davenport and his wife, died 1640 and 1639. Free standing
figures face each other across a prayer desk, architectural surround, three praying
children below and a child in a cot. Arabella Cavendish died 1739, bold surround
with frieze of gadrooning along the bottom. Henry Cavendish died 1698, with a
bolection moulded surround. Francis Cavendish died 1650, tablet framed by paired
columns with a kind of round-arched pediment. Rev. John Fitzherbert died 1785,
tablet surmounted by an urn against a slate obelisk. Small brass to the left of the
aumbrys to Francis Cavendish died 1650. Rev Thomas Cavendish died 1859, tablet by
C Maile Sc of London. In the South aisle a wall monument to Thomas Milward died
1658 with crudely carved figures holding back curtains from the tablet. Incised
alabaster slab, to a priest, C14 (north aisle). Chest, probably C17, in the Chancel.
Stained glass: Two lancets in chancel south c1924 by Kempe and Tower. In the north
windows glass of the 1860s possibly by Clayton and Bell. Two windows in the north
aisle 1960 by Patrick Nuttgens. In the south aisle west window, jumbled fragments
of C15 glass. Font, circular bowl on a cluster of shafts, probably C13 but
completely recut. C18 cover. Three C18 hatchments (chancel north). C19 woodwork.
Listing NGR: SK1138334103
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings