History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Lawrence

A Grade II* Listed Building in Cucklington, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0488 / 51°2'55"N

Longitude: -2.3506 / 2°21'2"W

OS Eastings: 375522

OS Northings: 127775

OS Grid: ST755277

Mapcode National: GBR 0VL.0KF

Mapcode Global: FRA 56ZB.S34

Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence

Listing Date: 24 March 1961

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1274765

English Heritage Legacy ID: 261698

Location: Cucklington, South Somerset, Somerset, BA9

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Cucklington

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Cucklington

Listing Text

ST72NE CUCKLINGTON CP

5/1 Church of St Lawrence

24.3.61

GV II*

Parish church. C13 and later, with major C19 rebuild by G B Crickmay. Local lias and Cary stone, cut and squared with
ashlar dressing; plain clay tiled roof between coped gables with finials, sheet aluminium roof behind parapet to
aisles. 4 cell plan of 2-bay chancel, 3 bay nave and North South aisles of 2 bays, with organ chamber and tower on
South West corner doubling as porch. Chancel mostly C19 in C13 style, with rough plinth, triple lancet East window with
vent over and C19 traceried window on South side with blocked simple chamfered pointed arched doorway. Organ chamber
has corner and bay buttresses with offsets; 4-centred arched 3-light C16 pattern traceried window in deep recess to
East wall and C19 door in North wall. North aisle has a 2-light and a 3-light window, such restored, in C15 style, to
North wall, and a 3-light 4-centre arched window with C16 tracery in deep recess to West wall, under a label with
square Tudor rose stops. Nave has a double cusped lancet window in the North wall, a window to match that of the North
aisle in the West wall; and in the South aisle two 2-light C16 hollow chamfer mullioned windows with 4-centre arched
heads to light under flat heads with squared labels, with between them a blocked moulded 4-centre arched doorway. Tower
a rebuild of 1705, in 2 stages, with angled corner buttresses on South face less than one stage high, string courses,
gargoyles, and battlemented parapet; in South wall a 4-centre arched doorway with double order ovolo mouldings above
which is a plaque giving date and details of rebuilding; to stage 2 a clockface below a small 2-light C15 traceried
pointed arched window under label, with stone baffles, much eroded; to East side a single and a 2-light C16 flat headed
window, both without labels, with similar single-light windows to West face: tower crowned by small timber turret with
lead cupola and weathervane probably of 1705. Plain 4-centred arched doorway into nave, probably recut. Inside the
chancel mostly C19 character except for East window, with hollow chamfered arch probably C15 into organ chamber, and
squint into South aisle; carved oak panel reredos depicting Christ in the Garden dated 1889: triple arcade between nave
and South aisle St Barbara's Chapel-centre arch probably C15, smaller flanking arches of C1880, and fragments of C15
stained glass of East window to this aisle, wiith unexplained C15 corbel bracket in wall nearby: nave has C19 chancel
arch but arcade into North aisle of C13 style, with no imposts to the columns; the screen between North aisle and organ
chamber may incorporate parts of C15 screen. Fittings mostly C19, but font probably of 1705 between Norman style.
Memorials include, in organ chamber, large tablet to Dalton Family of Lattiford House (Holton CP QV) who supplied
several C18 rectors; also two memorials to Watts family of Shanks House (qv) dated 1729 and 1735 under broken pediment
with urns, with family arms, in South aisle; also hatchment board of 1660 in North aisle, list of rectors begins in
1317; little known of general history, except that the church was severely damaged in a storm of 1705, necessitating
reroofing and reconstruction of the tower. (N Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958; also board
in church porc


Listing NGR: ST7552227775

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.