History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Priory

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ditcheat, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1233 / 51°7'23"N

Longitude: -2.5393 / 2°32'21"W

OS Eastings: 362354

OS Northings: 136143

OS Grid: ST623361

Mapcode National: GBR MT.9DGY

Mapcode Global: VH8BD.X1Y5

Entry Name: The Priory

Listing Date: 25 February 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1275470

English Heritage Legacy ID: 268306

Location: Ditcheat, Mendip, Somerset, BA4

County: Somerset

District: Mendip

Civil Parish: Ditcheat

Built-Up Area: Ditcheat

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Ditcheat

Listing Text

DITCHEAT CP KITE LANE (West side)
ST6235
16/99 The Priory
(Previously listed as The Abbey
House)
2.6.61
GV II*

Rectory, subsequently a house. 1473, for John Gunthorpe, Rector of Ditcheat, Dean of Wells, and Lord Privy Seal;
altered 1667 for Christopher Coward; refacaded with internal rearrangements 1864-8, probably by James Piers St. Aubyn,
for Rev. William Lier. Coursed and squared rubble, freestone dressings, coped verges, stone-tiled roofs, large stone
finials, tall polygonal ashlar stacks in groups of 2, 3 and 4. Hall house with later changes, now forming an L-plan;
Tudor-Gothick style. Two storeys and attic, 1:1:1:1:1 bays; second and fourth bays with small triangular gables to
attic, first and fifth bays under shaped gables; 2 and 3-light stone-mullioned windows, arched and cusped heads,
labels; one with carved heads as stops; canted 2-storied bay window to left, pierced parapet with quatrefoils bogus
datestones; single-storeyed canted bay window to right, pierced parapet. Canted embattled oriel over door opening,
which is to fourth bay, windows with ornamental glazing bars. Door opening with 4-centred arch head, label, paired
ribbed doors. Two blocked windows in right end elevation are early with cusped heads. Rear elevations with remains of
C15 detail including windows. Interior predominantly of 1868 in elaborate Gothic style, incorporating some reused
material including part of the rood screen brought from the parish church of St Mary (q.v.) in 1868, some original C15
and C17 work remains, coffered ceilings, a stained glass window, and an arch-braced roof to the "chapel wing".
(Chancellor C., The History of the Priory Ditcheat, l980 Photographs in NMR).


Listing NGR: ST6235436143

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.