This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9191 / 50°55'8"N
Longitude: -0.0543 / 0°3'15"W
OS Eastings: 536863
OS Northings: 115094
OS Grid: TQ368150
Mapcode National: GBR KPD.C2S
Mapcode Global: FRA B6SP.0P5
Entry Name: Chapel Farmhouse
Listing Date: 17 March 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1275609
English Heritage Legacy ID: 292864
Location: East Chiltington, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7
County: East Sussex
Civil Parish: East Chiltington
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Plumpton with East Chiltington-cum-Novington
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
EAST CHILTINGTON CHAPEL LANE
TQ 31 NE 5/195 17.3.52.
This is all that remains of a larger building which was occupied by the Challoner
family. C16 timber-framed building, the main portion mostly refaced with
red brick, the south front tile hung above the ground floor. Slate roof.
In the centre of the east front is a tall gabled projection containing the
staircase with blocked windows. To the north of this is a projecting L-wing,
of which the first floor on the east face oversails on the protruding ends
of the floor joists and is cemented. Its south face is tile hung on the first
floor. In the angle is a chimney breast of stone rubble with ashlar quoins
and a brick stack. At the south-east corner is a similar wing projecting less
far and without a chimney breast, Mostly casement windows but 2 sash windows
with glazing bars intact. Two storeys. Five windows. C16 panelling, fireplaces
Listing NGR: TQ3686315094
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings