This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5702 / 51°34'12"N
Longitude: -0.7803 / 0°46'49"W
OS Eastings: 484626
OS Northings: 186402
OS Grid: SU846864
Mapcode National: GBR D5W.FK4
Mapcode Global: VHDWB.FSBP
Entry Name: Remnantz
Listing Date: 16 July 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1275651
English Heritage Legacy ID: 411632
Location: Marlow, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, SL7
Civil Parish: Marlow
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Great Marlow with Marlow Bottom, Little Marlow and Bisham
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
(South East Side)
SU 8486 1/72 16.7.49.
1799-1811, altered. 2 storeys and attic. Brown brick with red dressings.
Moulded brick string at 1st floor level and over 1st floor windows. Brick
dentilled moulded cornice. Parapet with stone coping. Slate roof. 3
dormers. Road front has flanking half octagon 2 storey bays with 2 windows
on 1st floor between bays, and divided by central brick pilaster. On ground
floor between bays - 9 panel central door flanked by narrow windows with
balustrade aprons, all in elaborate Ionic surround of pilasters and entabla-
ture with curved frieze and modillioned cornice, the entablature projected
as wide porch supported by 2 Ionic columns, opposite door. The porch
approached by 5 moulded stone steps curved outwards, with plain contemporary
guard rails with urn standards. Long plain wing at right angles to main
house at back to left hand partly early C19. South front has central
Palladian window at mezzanine level with garden door under flanked by one
window, early Cl9. Alteration to left hand with 2-storey angular bay.
The house was originally 3-storey and U-shaped. The top storey and part
of one wing were removed in early C19 shortly after the Royal Military
College (later Sandhurst) had left here, after being established in this
house and possibly Marlow Place from 1799 to 1811. The interior has a
good early Cl8 stair with turned balusters and contemporary panelling and
carved door frames etc.
Listing NGR: SU8462686402
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings