This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.0566 / 53°3'23"N
Longitude: -1.2803 / 1°16'49"W
OS Eastings: 448331
OS Northings: 351281
OS Grid: SK483512
Mapcode National: GBR 7DX.749
Mapcode Global: WHDGB.9FKL
Entry Name: Felley Priory with Adjoining Garden Wall
Listing Date: 12 October 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1275804
English Heritage Legacy ID: 410899
Location: Felley, Ashfield, Nottinghamshire, NG16
Civil Parish: Felley
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Brinsley with Underwood
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 06/02/2018
SK 45 SE
Felley Priory with adjoining garden wall
(Formerly listed as Felley Priory with adjoining garden wall, off MANSFIELD ROAD (east side) ANNESLEY)
Augustinian Priory, now a house. Established 1156. Remodelled mid C16, altered early C17, extensive additions late C19. Coursed and squared rubble and brick. Ashlar dressings. Coped gables with kneelers. Two side wall, two gable and three external gable stacks.
Two and three storeys. Eleven unequal bays. Single range with transverse gables. Windows are mainly mullioned and cross casements with flat drip moulds. West front has to left, single storey wing, raised and extended late C19, with single casement flanked by single cross eaves dormers. To its right, two casements and beyond, two smaller casements. Setback entrance bay has moulded Tudor arched door, C16, with hood mould, flanked by single small casements. To right again, stepped gabled external stack, C16, with kneelers and terracotta plaques of lion and rose. Tapered rendered upper stage and panelled octagonal stalk rebuilt c.1975. To right again, a casement and remains of two moulded buttresses. Adjoining brick boundary wall has doorway incorporating fragments of C14 tracery. Above, to left, two casements and cross eaves dormer. To its right, two casements.
Entrance bay has triple casement. To its right, two similar casements. Above again, to left, casement, and above it, terracotta plaque of a horse. East front has late C19 additions at each end. To left, two storey canted bay window with conical roof and three cross casements. To its right, C19 half glazed door flanked to left by single and to right by five mullioned casements. Beyond, two casements. Late C19 set back addition has shouldered opening and two casements. Above, bay window with seven casements. To
its right, nine casements and chimney with terracotta plaque. Addition to right has two gabled dormers. Return angle to north has central gabled porch tower with two casements. To its right, keystoned round headed doorway. Above, a casement on each floor.
South end has to left, late C20 lean-to conservatory. To its right, a casement and a buttress. Above to left, stair turret with coped gable and small square window. Garden wall adjoining north east end has three C13 re-sited round responds with moulded bases. One has waterleaf capital. South side has re-set chamfered piscina and niche. North side has blocked doorway.
Interior is said to contain fireplace with lintel made from C11 inscribed slab, and C20 stairs incorporating C17 components. Felley was an Augustinian Priory founded in 1156 by Ralph Brito of Annesley. Converted to secular use in the C16, it was owned by the Middleton family from 1604.
Listing NGR: SK4833151281
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings