This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.1105 / 55°6'37"N
Longitude: -1.4997 / 1°29'58"W
OS Eastings: 432013
OS Northings: 579680
OS Grid: NZ320796
Mapcode National: GBR K9ZB.3T
Mapcode Global: WHC30.YT02
Entry Name: Public Lavatory, Outbuilding and Enclosing Walls, to East of Link House
Listing Date: 7 April 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1276282
English Heritage Legacy ID: 236084
Location: Blyth, Northumberland, NE24
Civil Parish: Blyth
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Blyth St Cuthbert
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
BLYTH LINKS ROAD
NZ 37 NW
5/122 Public lavatory,
to east of
Engine house for Defence Electric Light installation, 1914-19, now public
convenience. Brick in English Bond with concrete dressings and reinforced
concrete roof. Rectangular building in sunk walled enclosure with outbuilding
to north. Single storey, 6 bays: projecting porch at left end (now inscribed
'LADIES'), 4 windows, reduced in size, with stop-chamfered lintels; Gents'
doorway on right return is later insertion. Slightly-pitched roof with
overhanging eaves. Enclosing wall with pitched coping, extended to north-west
to flank curving approach; end piers with pyramidal caps; flight of steps at
south-west corner. Embayment in north wall, with later concrete roof, housed
cooling tanks; embayment on east with bases for petrol and oil tanks. The
building housed 2 dynamos with Crossley engines, powering the defence electric
light emplacements (q.v.) 50 metres to the east. As part of a World War 1
D.E.L. installation it is a rare survival.
Listing NGR: NZ3201379680
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings