History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Greystones stonelink the Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Fairlight, East Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8819 / 50°52'55"N

Longitude: 0.6331 / 0°37'59"E

OS Eastings: 585322

OS Northings: 112464

OS Grid: TQ853124

Mapcode National: GBR QYB.QVL

Mapcode Global: FRA D66R.Y7J

Entry Name: Greystones stonelink the Hall

Listing Date: 13 May 1987

Last Amended: 18 February 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1276366

English Heritage Legacy ID: 409560

Location: Fairlight, Rother, East Sussex, TN35

County: East Sussex

District: Rother

Civil Parish: Fairlight

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Church of England Parish: Fairlight St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Fairlight

Listing Text

In the entry for;

FAIRLIGHT MARTINEAU LANE
TQ 81 SE
32/47 The Hall
(now The Hall, North Wing,
Stonelink and Greystones)

II

The entry shall be amended to read;

TQ 81 SE FAIRLIGHT MARTINEAU LANE

32/47 The Hall, Stonelink and
Greystones

II

Large house. Designed in 1848 by J Cooke and building erected between
1850 and 1853 for William Drew Lucas Shadwell whose family made its
fortune from supplying the bricks used to build Martello towers. The
Hall comprises the main living accommodation, Stonelink is an attached
service wing in similar style which may be a later C19 addition and
Greystones is a linked block formerly stabling. Castellated Gothic
style. Built of sandstone with slate roof and clustered stone
chimneystack. Asymmetrical building of 2 to 3 storeys with irregular
fenestration and crenellated parapet. At the south end is a 3 storey
tower with 2 storey entrance hall with chapel over to front with
octagonal turrets and large traceried window with 4 cinquefoil-headed
lights to first floor. Projecting porch in front with angled
buttresses, 2 carved stone shields above and 4 centred arch doorcase
with colonnettes, stone bosses and elaborate wooden door. To the
right, breaking through 2 floors is a large square 2 tier mullioned
window of 3 lights and section of walling incorporating a drinking
fountain and stepped pedestrian entrance. To the left is a 2 storey
range with right side mullioned staircase window of 2 tiers of 3
lights, then 3 mullioned sashes with hoodmoulding, 3 storey portion
with gabled dormer to attic and curved semi-circular service entrances
with 3 sashes and projecting porch with studded doors. Garden front
similar but with 3 projecting bays and all windows are mullioned and
transomed.
Stonelink is attached to the north and is of 2 storeys stone with
hipped slate roof and 5 mullioned and transomed casements.
Attached by wall with 4 centred arch to north is Greystones which was
formerly stables and coachhouse. Mainly 2 storeys but with central 3
storey tower with 4 centred carriage arch below. Crenellated parapet.
5 windows including central traceried window, the rest mullioned or
mullioned and transomed. L-wing has coach house with accommodation
for 4-coaches. The Hall retains its original interiors remarkably
complete. The Entrance Hall has a plaster ceiling with squares and
bosses and panelling with an oak palton. Elaborate stone 4-centred
arch fireplace with motto above "As for me and my house we will serve
the Lord". Large well staircase with fretted splat balusters and
chamfered newel posts. Staircase window has 2 tiers of 3 lights with
stained glass decoration . The Drawing Room has oak linenfold dado
panelling, marble 4-centred arched fireplace and plastered ceiling
with strapwork decoration. The Library has a marble fireplace with
surrounds of floral wood carving and strapwork plaster ceiling. The
Dining Room has a stone 4 centred fireplace with the initials W F and
L S. Former Chapel has arch-braced roof of 4 bays, elaborate stained
glass window of which the 2 central panels have been modified and
raised plaster decoration to the walls. Fine original stained glass
window to bathroom. The Lucas-Shawells provided the building stone and
£500 to build the local Parish Church of St Andrew in 1845.

------------------------------------

TQ 81 SE FAIRLIGHT MARTINEAU LANE

32/47 The Hall
(Now The Hall, North Wing,
Stonelink and Greystones)

II

Mid C19 castellated mansion, now subdivided. Two storeys. Eight windows.
Coursed stone. Castellated parapet. Some casement windows, some sashes without
glazing bars. At the south end is a tower flanked by octagonal buttresses with
a 'perpendicular' window on first floor and projecting porch on ground floor.
Smaller tower of three storeys towards the north end. Curved projection on
ground floor in front of it containing the back door.


Listing NGR: TQ8532212464

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.