This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0115 / 51°0'41"N
Longitude: -3.0956 / 3°5'44"W
OS Eastings: 323233
OS Northings: 124139
OS Grid: ST232241
Mapcode National: GBR M1.JHKH
Mapcode Global: FRA 46DF.XF2
Entry Name: St Joseph's Convent
Listing Date: 4 July 1975
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1276422
English Heritage Legacy ID: 269885
Location: Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA1
District: Taunton Deane
Town: Taunton Deane
Electoral Ward/Division: Taunton Eastgate
Built-Up Area: Taunton
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
St Joseph's Convent
ST 2324 SW 14/7
A large complex of attached buildings with considerable architectural interest.
Originally part was built as a hospital of which the foundation stone was laid
in 1772. Designs of 1775 by P Stowey of Exeter (Colvin p 573). Acquired 1807
by Franciscan nuns, refugees from Bruges. They extended the buildings in 1811
and subsequently. The considerable Victorian additions are by J A Hansom (1803-82).
Main block consists of a large symmetrical early Cl9 red brick house with later
central range in yellow brick and bowed end projecting to east. Stone dressings.
3 storeys plus attic storey on south side. Cornice and parapet. Plain band over
1st floor. Original sash windows with glazing bars to lower floors. North and
south elevations retain wrought iron balconettes to 1st floor windows. Further
range attached on south-west corner with arcaded ground floor. This block retains
a tall 2 stage bell tower with lead roof, corbelled eaves and weather vane. C19
Gothic chapel attached on north side of main block. Red brick with ashlar dressings.
Parapet and slate roof. Buttresses divide the main windows which are at 1st floor
level. Style of tracery is Decorated, the east window being triangular with 3
traceried oculi under hoodmould. West side of the chapel is abutted by an early
C19 block with tall 2 storey entrance porch with twin arches. To the east of the
chapel is a Victorian Gothic cloister with 2 walks. Pointed arched open to the
cloister garth with large nook shafts and foliated capitals. The walks inside have
scissor-trussed open timber roofs. A 2 storey range with open arcade is returned
from the chapel to join the north cloister walk. Modern extension to south is
St Joseph's Convent, Summerhouse in grounds, and stone walls to the grounds form
Listing NGR: ST2323324139
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings