This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.6068 / 55°36'24"N
Longitude: -1.7177 / 1°43'3"W
OS Eastings: 417881
OS Northings: 634838
OS Grid: NU178348
Mapcode National: GBR J3FL.XY
Mapcode Global: WHC0L.LB7L
Entry Name: Walled Garden at West End of the Grove
Listing Date: 26 August 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1276803
English Heritage Legacy ID: 408156
Location: Bamburgh, Northumberland, NE69
Civil Parish: Bamburgh
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Bamburgh St Aidan
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
BAMBURGH THE GROVE
17/55 Walled garden at
west end of
Walled garden and garden house, now used as market garden and shop. Dated 1693
on re-set lintel but probably mid to late C18. Brick in stretched Flemish bond,
with ashlar dressings. Shop has Welsh slate roof. Long wall round all 4 sides
of garden; an internal wall divides garden into two.
Doorway in south-east corner: boarded door in surround with moulded lower half
of jambs, plain imposts and lintel. Above the door, the reset datestone which
has a small carved figure above. To right, the shop: single storey, one bay
with alternating ashlar quoins and windows with flat arch and keystone; hipped
The wall is c.12 ft. high with ashlar buttresses at the corners. On east and
north sides it is chamfered back c.4 ft. above the ground and ashlar buttresses
rise out of the chamfer approximately every 20 ft. South and west walls are
plain. North wall has moulded coping, the other sides have no coping.
Listing NGR: NU1788734887
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings