This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8207 / 51°49'14"N
Longitude: -0.816 / 0°48'57"W
OS Eastings: 481706
OS Northings: 214229
OS Grid: SP817142
Mapcode National: GBR D2Q.Y7X
Mapcode Global: VHDV4.TH0L
Entry Name: The Royal Bucks Hospital
Listing Date: 17 June 1992
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1276814
English Heritage Legacy ID: 41977
Location: Aylesbury, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, HP19
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Aylesbury
Built-Up Area: Aylesbury
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Aylesbury
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
In the entry for:
SP 8114 AYLESBURY The Royal Bucks Hospital
Line 27. Delete, 'the late-C20 alterations are not of interest'.
Insert, 'the later C20 alterations are not of interest'.
The following building shall be added to the list:
SP 8114 AYLESBURY
3/000 The Royal Bucks Hospital
Hospital, currently unoccupied. c1860-62 by David Brandon; planform
influenced personally by Florence Nightingale. Rear addition wing
opened 1908 (by F Taylor architect), other later C20 alterations. Red
brick with stone floor and sill bands, quoins to central block,
architraves and cornice. Slated roofs, with dormers and tall chimney
stacks to central block; ventilators to left hand pavilion. Central
5 window administrative block of 3 storeys, attic and basement flanked
by 2 storey and basement pavilion wards of 7 windows each with
projecting end bays. Right hand pavilion with mid C20 3rd storey.
Central entrance with stone portico of paired columns and pillars,
with rectangular bands, carrying a dentil entablature supporting a
balcony, with inset panels and ball finials, to pedimented 1st floor
window having a central colonette. Ground floor sashes have segmental
arched architraves with keystones, projecting bays with round-arched
niches having quoins at angles; 1st floor architraved sashes with
cornices on short pilaster supports with enriched corbels. Bracketed
cornice to left hand pavilion. Central block 3rd floor sashes
architraved; cornice, with saw-tooth frieze, supports a brick parapet
with central carved stone segmental pediment depicting the Bucks coat
of arms and inscribed 'Anno Domini MDCCCLX1'. Originally called the
Buckinghamshire General Infirmary, this hospital was one of the first
pavilion plan hospitals in England and the first civil pavilion
planned hospital to be finished and in use. Florence Nightingale was
personally involved in the design which she published in the third
edition of her 'Notes on Hospital Design', 1863 as an exemplar.
The building is listed primarily for its significance in the
development of mid-C19 hospital planning; the late-C20 alterations are
not of interest.
Listing NGR: SP8170014200
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings