This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9964 / 51°59'46"N
Longitude: -0.9179 / 0°55'4"W
OS Eastings: 474391
OS Northings: 233655
OS Grid: SP743336
Mapcode National: GBR BZ4.W6L
Mapcode Global: VHDTB.12LX
Entry Name: Manor House
Listing Date: 25 September 1951
Last Amended: 22 August 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1276954
English Heritage Legacy ID: 408076
Location: Thornborough, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, MK18
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Thornborough
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Thornborough
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 7433 THORNBOROUGH THE GREEN
8/158 Manor House
(formerly listed as
Manor house. C17, altered and extended early C18 for Benjamin
Woodnorth, High Sheriff of Buckingham, restored early C20. Coursed
rubble stone, dressed stone window heads, off-set brick eaves, old tile
roofs. U-plan N. wing, part C17, with early C18 range to south. Two
storeys and attic. N.W. gable: has stone stack with three square
brick shafts, and buttress to ground floor. E. front: wing to south
has three bays with leaded mullion and transom windows to left-hand
bays and upper right. Right-hand bay has six panelled door in wooden
doorcase of Doric columns and plain entablature with 2-light leaded
casement above. Three hipped dormers with leaded casements, 3-light
to outer bays, paired to centre. Lean-to at left end. Slightly
projecting lower range to right, linked by half-hipped roof, has
first floor band course and two bays of leaded casements, mostly 3-light
with 4-light to upper left. W. front of early C18 block is similar.
Doric doorcase has rusticated blocks, pilasters, entablature with
triglyph frieze and segmental pediment. Interior: staircase of
c.1740 with turned balusters, fluted Tuscan newel columns and open
string with scroll brackets. Stair-well has C18 bolection panelling.
Re-sited panelling in N.W. ground floor room.
RCHM II p 296 MON 2
Listing NGR: SP7439133655
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings