This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9874 / 50°59'14"N
Longitude: -0.7314 / 0°43'52"W
OS Eastings: 489140
OS Northings: 121653
OS Grid: SU891216
Mapcode National: GBR DF3.1WJ
Mapcode Global: FRA 96CH.LX2
Entry Name: The Ruins of Cowdray House
Listing Date: 18 June 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1277176
English Heritage Legacy ID: 301628
Location: Easebourne, Chichester, West Sussex, GU29
County: West Sussex
Civil Parish: Easebourne
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Easebourne St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
SU 82 SE EASEBOURNE EASEBOURNE LANE
11/57 The Ruins of Cowdray House
Ruins of a fine stone mansion comprising a complete courtyard with gatehouse, hall
with oriel windows, chapel, kitchen, etc. The east and north sides were built by
Sir David Owen in 1492 circa, the west and south sides by Sir William Fitzwilliam,
later Earl of Southampton, in 1533 circa. Further alterations were made by the
latter's half-brother, Sir Anthony Browne, and his son, the first Viscount Montague.
It remained the home of the Montague family until partly destroyed by fire in 1792.
Ashlar with quoins of a different coloured stone. Castellated parapet. Casement
windows. Large bays of two storeys with two tiers of six lights. The gatehouse
was on the west side. Four-centred carriage archway flanked by octagonal turrets
of three storeys. Hall and chapel on east side of the courtyard.
Listing NGR: SU8914021677
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings