History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hill Top Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Longdon, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7244 / 52°43'27"N

Longitude: -1.8681 / 1°52'5"W

OS Eastings: 409002

OS Northings: 314089

OS Grid: SK090140

Mapcode National: GBR 3BW.2JD

Mapcode Global: WHCGG.8SN9

Entry Name: Hill Top Farmhouse

Listing Date: 27 February 1964

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1277717

English Heritage Legacy ID: 430682

Location: Longdon, Lichfield, Staffordshire, WS15

County: Staffordshire

District: Lichfield

Civil Parish: Longdon

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Longdon St James

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Burntwood

Listing Text

LONGDON C.P. HILL TOP
SK 01 SE
Hill Top Farmhouse
10/85
27.2.64

GV II*

Farmhouse. Mid to late C17 with early C18 alterations. Red brick;
plain tile roofs with raised verges; brick ridge stacks. Short central
range aligned east-west facing south with flanking crosswing; the eastern
wing projects to the north and has a north-east annexe on the same align-
ment as the central range. 2 storeys and attic with storey bands and
coved eaves band. The central range breaks forward slightly and is
flanked by a pair of gabled crosswings: 2:2:2 window front; cross case-
ments with gauged brick heads. Central 6-panel door with gauged brick
head; the upper part of the doorway has been infilled with brick and
is dated 1727. Interior. The entrance hall has an early C18 fireplace
with keyed and lugged stone surround with bolection moulded picture frame
above anda pair of flanking niches with shell-vaulted semi-circular heads
and Gibbsian surrounds. Moulded pilaster cornice which is stratigraphicaly
later than the doorway infill of 1727. Early C18 dog-leg staircase
with closed string, turned balusters, and ramped handrail. Over the
stairwell is an C18 plaster ceiling with cornice of dentils and egg and
dart, and a lobed panel with egg and dart surround containing a roundel
with foliated centre from which a brass chandelier hangs. Exposed
timber framed partitions in the central range apparently of re-used material.
Chamfered and stopped spine beam in the east wing and large open fireplace
with timber bressumer.


Listing NGR: SK0900214089

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.