This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3443 / 52°20'39"N
Longitude: 0.5134 / 0°30'48"E
OS Eastings: 571305
OS Northings: 274771
OS Grid: TL713747
Mapcode National: GBR PB7.4LN
Mapcode Global: VHJG5.VB8Q
Entry Name: 12, Kingsway
Listing Date: 20 August 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1277763
English Heritage Legacy ID: 275910
Location: Mildenhall, Forest Heath, Suffolk, IP28
District: Forest Heath
Civil Parish: Mildenhall
Built-Up Area: Mildenhall
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Mildenhall
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
The following Building shall be added:-
TL 71 75 KINGSWAY
12/98 NO. 12
House. Early-mid C17, in 2 phases, the first probably 1631,
substantially rebuilt mid C19. Originally timber framed, now
random knapped flint facing to clunch core; gault brick
dressings; older left gable end solely of clunch. Clay pantiled
roof. 2 storeys. 3 cell form. Internal stack with heavy square
shaft of narrow brick, and a smaller stack at the left hand end.
3 windows, C19 2-light casements with horizontal glazing bars,
segmental arches. To right a ground floor 4 X 4 paned sash window
with paired panelled shutters and an oblong name board above. 2
doorways with C19 doors, each with four flush panels. 2 cellar
lights at pavement level have timber hatches.
Interior: intact C17 first floor structure. Axial chamfered
floorbeams in hall and service cells, the joists set flat.
Parlour has ovolo moulded main beam and square joists, with
original floorboarding above. Under the hall is a good original
brick vaulted cellar and stair with brick treads. A further C17
cellar under parlour, originally with fireplace, now blocked.
Hall fireplace has shortened ovolo moulded lintol bearing several
scratched circles and, associated with these, the date 1631.
Small part of stuccoed brick arch of parlour fireplace. The
chamber above has a good intact C17 fireplace: lintol carved with
band of incised decoration and with elaborate stop-chamfers;
brick work with substantial remains of pink paint and white lined
jointing; original brick hearth with timber curb. On the
plastered side wall of the stack at first floor is a C17 design
in red paint: stud like vertical stripes with 4 petalled flowers
between and a horizontal zig-zag band below. Much of the original
stair survives behind the-stack. Some good C17 and C18 doors, one
bearing the date 1755 and 1774, and original cupboard under
stair, the door with butterfly hinges.
Listing NGR: TL7130574771
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings