This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5349 / 52°32'5"N
Longitude: 0.9327 / 0°55'57"E
OS Eastings: 599001
OS Northings: 297047
OS Grid: TL990970
Mapcode National: GBR SDG.2LZ
Mapcode Global: VHKBX.3KX2
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 16 July 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1277935
English Heritage Legacy ID: 220215
Location: Rocklands, Breckland, Norfolk, NR17
Civil Parish: Rocklands
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Rockland St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TL 99 NE ROCKLANDS BRAY'S LANE
16/7/58 Church of St. Peter
Parish church. C12 west tower, C15 nave, C20 chancel and details of different
dates. Flint built with ashlar dressings, thatched nave, chancel with plain
tiles. Round tower of 3 stages, the lower blank. Stair turret to south
pierced by slit and trefoil lights with conical roof and stages continuous
with tower deliniated by string courses. 4 slit windows to ringing chamber.
C14 octagonal belfry with ashlar quoins and 2-light ogeed windows alternating
with blind windows under continuous string course. C15 gabled north porch
with diagonal buttresses and wave moulded entrance arch with chamfered inner
face on circular responds and polygonal capitals. Brick hood mould on labels
and other repairs 1624. Central tablet inscribed IEAMS. RAINOR. GEAVE. THIS.
GODLI. WORK. 1624. Other inscribed tablets irregularly placed. C20 shouldered
parapet. 2 brick round-headed lancets to west and one 4-centred light to
east, also 1624. Nave carries west parapet on kneelers with fleuron decoration,
2 3-light C15 panel traceried nave windows under 4 centred arches. Short
transeptual extensions to east with 2-light C14 windows in form of cinquefoil
lights supporting a cusped spherical triangle. Diagonal buttresses at east.
Chancel of 1909. Diagonal buttresses and 5-light east window divided by rising
mullions with reticulation in sub arches. Gabled vestry at south west of
nave 1908 with 3-light Perpendicular south window. Interior. Tall tower
arch with hollow chamfer moulding. Scissor braced roof 1950. Stair turret
lit from nave by one slit and 2 trefoil windows and entered through C14 timber
door with 3 strap bands under shouldered lintel. Tower screen is fragment
of rood with one-light ogee divisions below Perpendicular panelling rising
to top rail. Rood screen from Tottington church of 3 one-light ogee bays
flanking wider ogee opening. Lights have cusps and crocketed finials rising
to top rail and rest on panelled base. Base in 3 bays each side with crocket
canopy carved on face of stile. Each bay of 2 cusped and sub-cusped lights
supporting petal lozenge under super-arch. Angels and diaper fill spandrels.
Rood loft parapet of 12 panelled lights below beam which carries figures of
crucified Christ, St. Mary and St. John. 20 benches from Tottington with
traceried ends, poppy heads and some animal arm rests, all late C14. Early
C17 panelled pulpit with C20 stem and plinth. Front rail before pulpit dated
1631 with frieze of scroll work. Fine mid C14 octagonal font with tracery
panels on bowl and encircled quatrefoils on stem.
Listing NGR: TL9900197047
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings