History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of the Holy Cross

A Grade II* Listed Building in Babcary, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0566 / 51°3'23"N

Longitude: -2.6271 / 2°37'37"W

OS Eastings: 356148

OS Northings: 128774

OS Grid: ST561287

Mapcode National: GBR MP.FN8G

Mapcode Global: FRA 56DB.6CC

Entry Name: Church of the Holy Cross

Listing Date: 17 April 1959

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1277940

English Heritage Legacy ID: 263325

Location: Babcary, South Somerset, Somerset, TA11

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Babcary

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
East Lydford

Listing Text

ST52NE BABCARY CP CHURCH STREET (West side

3/6

Church of the Holy Cross
17.4.59

GV II*

Anglican parish church. Pre-conquest origins; fabric of C14, C15 with chancel and north aisle added in C19, latter by
Benjamin Ferrey in 1875-6. Local lias stone cut and squared, Doulting stone dressings: stone slate roofs between
stepped coped gables having cross finials. Three-cell plan of 2-bay chancel and 3-bay nave and north aisle, with west
tower and south porch. Chancel may incorporate early work (church described as having nave only in 1822): rough plinth,
no buttresses; 3-light early C15 style traceried east window under arched label with square stops; above a store block
with sundial, set on skew on iron bracket; on north side two 2-light windows, the east flat-arched with cinquefoil
cusped lights under square label with headstops, the west matches east window; on south side two 2-light early C15
style printed arched windows with square stop labels, and between them a small doorway with moulded 4-centre arches:
head under square stopped label. The C19 north aisle has a plinth, angled corner buttresses with moulded offsets:
2-light arched window matching the chancel window in the east wall, with plain stop label and external terrmenta
this could be a reset C15 window: the north wall has a shallow coping over eaves moulding with gargoyles; the centre
bay has a 3-light and the others 2-light windows with C16 style tracery of ogees and quatrefoils to flat arched lights
with deep square labels to foliated stops: no west window to aisle. Nave has chamfered plinth, bay buttresses with
moulded offsets; in south wall the eastern window is 3-light possibly C15, with ogee traceried flat arched window in
hollowed recess under square label with animal stops; western window is a C19 version of the chancel windows of
2-light: between these the south porch, which has angled corner buttresses, moulded pointed outer arch and plain
chamfered inner arch; the roof probably C15, an archbraced collar truss of 2 bays with moulded main members and various
timber bosses; bench seats, a small open cusped lancet in east wall, and early C20 gate with traceried panels. Tower
could be C14: 3 stages, with plinth, string courses, with gargoyles to top string, shallow battlemented parapet; angled
corner buttresses 2 stages high; square plan north-east stair turret with 3 slit windows and two double quatrefoil
pierced panels: on west face low moulded pointed arched doorway with arched label, and above a 3-light C15 traceried
window in slightly hollowed recess under arched label extended as side string; the other sides plain on first stage
second stage has small 4-centre arched 2-light window in south side only: stage 3 has similar 2-light windows each
face, with wood louvres, and with a small doorway of unknown purpose on south face. Interior largely C19 in character:
chance1 austere, with C19 arch braced collar truss roof; early C14 tall pointed arched piscina with stone shelf
chancel arch nearly 4-centred, with small centre shaft columns and turned caps; door to former rood loft in north wall.
Nave arcade C19, with bell-cap stilted segmental arches, C19 roof; tall moulded pointed tower arch with stiff-leaf
foliage capitals to full-length shafts; north aisle unplastered. Fittings include octagonal panelled wood pulpit dated
1632; font probably C14, octagonal with quatrefoil panelled faces, traceried underbowl and rather slim traceried
octagonal shalt on C19 base. First recorded rector 1319: Parson Woodforde, diarist, was curate here from January 1764
to October 1765. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958; C and J Greenwood, Somerset Delineated,
1822).


Listing NGR: ST5614828774

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.