History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Square and Compass Public House

A Grade II Listed Building in Darley Dale, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1558 / 53°9'20"N

Longitude: -1.5968 / 1°35'48"W

OS Eastings: 427056

OS Northings: 362150

OS Grid: SK270621

Mapcode National: GBR 58N.532

Mapcode Global: WHCDG.FYT2

Entry Name: Square and Compass Public House

Listing Date: 3 October 1979

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1277973

English Heritage Legacy ID: 429859

Location: Darley Dale, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE4

County: Derbyshire

District: Derbyshire Dales

Civil Parish: Darley Dale

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Darley St Helen

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Great Rowsley

Listing Text

STATION ROAD Square and Compass.HOuse

SK 26 SE 10/156

II

2
'1735 RC'. Date in door lintel but PH made up of 4 adjoining sections, each with different roof height, forming 1 long building. Situated on corner facing Darley Bridge (q.v.). Coursed stone, east-end with quoins; welsh slate roof. Each section has end chimneys. 2 storeys. .8 windows, a mixture of sashes and Casements, some retaining glazing bars. Loft door at centre 1st floor. Western section has door with massive stone surround and date as above. 2 centre sections each have segmental arched way in entrance: the Western one now contains a window; eastern one has opposite double doors and stone flagged floor between, and further east is another house door with massive stone surround. Eaves line of 2 eastern sections appears to have been raised. Parish boundary post attached to front of inn. Built in stone seats to front of eastern cottage.
Buildings is also of interest in that it was connected with the growth of the lead mining industry. The name derives from the survey of one of the soughs draining the mines.


Listing NGR: SK2705662150

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.