This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4426 / 51°26'33"N
Longitude: -2.513 / 2°30'46"W
OS Eastings: 364440
OS Northings: 171634
OS Grid: ST644716
Mapcode National: GBR CVP.DQ
Mapcode Global: VH88W.D0BF
Entry Name: Blocks 1 and 2 and Linking Arcade to Hanham Hall Hospital
Listing Date: 15 July 1981
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1278348
English Heritage Legacy ID: 28705
Location: Hanham Abbots, South Gloucestershire, BS15
County: South Gloucestershire
Civil Parish: Hanham Abbots
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Hanham
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
5118 HANHAM ABBOTS WHITTUCKS ROAD
Blocks 1 and 2 and
linking archade to
Hanham Hall Hospital
ST 67 SW 3/76
(NHS, Home for Mental Patients). Built 1655 for Richard Jones with alterations.
Large rambling house with "A" plan and long wing to north.
Principal elevation faces south and has recessed centre with moulded stone
parapet cornice, projecting gabled end units with moulded copings. Windows
2+5+2, sashes with exposed frames in shallow reveals. Two storeys plus
6 gabled casement dormers to centre and one 3-light lunette in each gable
face. Rendered walling, slate roofs. Chimneys reduced, one stepped base
to right of right hand gable with 2 diagonal brick shafts. Small central
clock turret with wooden arcaded lantern and cupola. Central solid stone
porch with semi-circular stone shell hood, coved niche with shell head
in each inside wall of porch, later C19 double doors (glazed) horse-shoe-shaped
threshold. Two bay extension to right with 3-light stepped windows with
dripmould and transom, centre light round headed suggestive of a Venetian
window, gable over right hand window. Gabled projections have square section
lead rainwater pipes with relief heads on clamps and on hopper.
Rear elevation has 3 small gables to each end unit, right hand end gable
hipped. Parapet cornice to centre which is an early C18 blocking of former
recessed centre with 3 irregular set-back gables. 3+5+3 windows, later
wooden casements, 3 left hand attic gables retain moulded single-light
windows, original window to attics. Central bolection architrave door
opening, panelled door, arched hollow stone hood on folded scroll-brackets.
Projecting (modern) single storey, extension to left and right of doorway.
Central lead rainwater head with relief scroll-work.
Late C17 attached 2 storey wing set at angle to rear, slate roof. Three
windows, 3 and 4-light casements with moulded stone mullions, later lunette
lights over ground floor windows (filling space below relieving arches).
Tudor-arch doorway with double studded doors, arched hollow stone hood
on folded scroll brackets. Taller late Victorian 2 and a half storey extension
to right forms link to apex of plan, 4 windows and 3 tall gabled half dormers.
The cross-stroke of the plan is a covered corridor, a 4 bay Tudor arched
arcade with parapet and central urn.
'L'-plan extension to north very much altered but staircase at north end
retains a barrel-stop moulded beam and carved string, one gable to north-east
with coped verge.
Interior: circa 1710-20s staircase entered from north of hall, divides
at landing, heavy moulded hand-rail, 3 twisted balusters per tread and
splayed bottom, panelled dado with ramped rail. Ground floor room to west
of hall is panelled with carved scroll cornice dated A over 1655 (Richard
Jones or Johnson). The hall and rooms above retain a large amount of
early C18 panelling. Dining Hall to right not of special interest.
Listing NGR: ST6444071634
Other nearby listed buildings