This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.6381 / 50°38'17"N
Longitude: -2.0571 / 2°3'25"W
OS Eastings: 396056
OS Northings: 82050
OS Grid: SY960820
Mapcode National: GBR 33G.W5W
Mapcode Global: FRA 67LD.0DM
Entry Name: Parish Church of Saint Edward
Listing Date: 20 November 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1278555
English Heritage Legacy ID: 109277
Location: Corfe Castle, Purbeck, Dorset, BH20
Civil Parish: Corfe Castle
Built-Up Area: Corfe Castle
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Corfe Castle St Edward the Martyr
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
CORFE CASTLE THE SQUARE (South side )
SY 96 82
Parish Church of Saint Edward
Anglican Parish Church. Tower C15, rest rebuilt 1860, architect T H Wyatt,
incorporating some medieval fragments. Rubble stone walls with ashlar dressings,
slate roofs with coped gables. Separate pitched roofs to nave and aisles.
Nave, north and south aisles of 4 bays, with clerestory. Chancel with north and
south aisles of 2 bays, and projecting sanctuary; west tower, south porch. Tower,
of 3 stages, has diagonal buttresses and moulded plinth. Semi-octagonal stair turret
on north. Battlemented parapet with corner pinnacles. Moulded string course below
this, with carved gargoyles. 2-light square-headed belfry windows. Main west window
of 3 lights, with intersecting tracery. West door has straight-sided arch in square
frame with shields in spandrels flanked by canopied niches on carved head corbels.
In south aisle wall, two 2-light windows with plate tracery and a 3-light window
with geometrical tracery. In south chancel aisle wall a shouldered arched doorway,
2 lancets and a 3-light window with geometrical tracery. 2-light square headed
windows in north and south walls of sanctuary. East window with intersecting
tracery and battlemented transome. In north aisle, blocked doorway with 2-light
window above, 2 lancets and 3-light window with geometrical tracery. North porch
has pointed arched doorway with shafts of C12 character. Internally, chancel has
arch-braced collar beam roof. Chancel arcades in C13 style, with clustered Purbeck
marble columns. In north wall, re-set lancet, and C14 doorway below it (these now
internal), and blocked C13 doorway in south wall. Arch-braced scissor roof to nave.
Nave arcades with circular columns and stiff-leaf caps - one of these early C13 -
re-used. Tower arch has shafts with moulded caps, and 4 carved heads. In tower,
2 fragments of carved C15 Purbeck marble. Other medieval fragments loose in church.
In north chancel aisle 2 C15 inscribed wall tablets, and one of 1686. Painted Royal
Arms of Charles II over north door. Good wall monument of 1677 west of this. C15
octagonal font, Purbeck marble, with panelled sides. (RCHM, Monument 1. Dorset.
Vol.II. Buildings of England. Dorset. Newman and Pevsner).
Listing NGR: SY9605682050
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings