This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7005 / 50°42'1"N
Longitude: -1.2931 / 1°17'35"W
OS Eastings: 450018
OS Northings: 89217
OS Grid: SZ500892
Mapcode National: GBR 8BB.XL1
Mapcode Global: FRA 8757.B16
Entry Name: The Guildhall
Listing Date: 1 October 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1278563
English Heritage Legacy ID: 309567
Location: Newport, Isle of Wight, PO30
County: Isle of Wight
Civil Parish: Newport
Built-Up Area: Newport (Isle of Wight)
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Isle of Wight
Church of England Parish: Newport St Thomas
Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth
SZ 5089 SW 3/45 1.10.53.
1819. Architect John Nash. 2 storeys faced with coursed stucco. 1st
floor: tetrastyle portico with giant Greek Ionic columns, dentil pediment,
resting on ground floor of 3 round headed arches with keystones. 3 full
length recessed sash windows, glazing bars, rendered lintels. Simple
cast iron railings between columns. To right of facade Victoria clock
tower of 1887 with small cupola pediments, columns and pilasters continuing
Ionic style. The High Street front is continued with an Ionic colonnade,
cornice and reeded parapet over. 5 windows as behind main portico.
Arcading also continued on ground floor with smaller arches at base of
clock tower and at east end.
2 bays of 4 storeys coursed rendering with parapet and dentil cornice,
have been added to the east on the High Street and 5 bays also in keeping
with original style have been added on Quay Street qv.
Listing NGR: SZ5002889222
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings