History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Upper Clatford, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1901 / 51°11'24"N

Longitude: -1.4903 / 1°29'25"W

OS Eastings: 435716

OS Northings: 143559

OS Grid: SU357435

Mapcode National: GBR 72Y.81S

Mapcode Global: VHC2Z.4B0Z

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 20 December 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1278644

English Heritage Legacy ID: 405035

Location: Upper Clatford, Test Valley, Hampshire, SP11

County: Hampshire

District: Test Valley

Civil Parish: Upper Clatford

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Upper Clatford All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Andover

Listing Text

3543 UPPER CLATFORD

11/26 Church of All Saints

20.12.60 II*

Parish church. C12, tower of 1578, C17 alterations, C18 porch, north aisle of
1890, extended chancel of 1894, vestry of 1903, and restorations of 1908 (Tower)
and 1968 (porch). Flint and roughcast walls, with a tile roof. Originally an
aisleless nave and chancel, with a north aisle added in the late C12; in the C17
the arcade was removed and the nave widened to incorporate the aisle, the
chancel being correspondingly widened on its north side; 2 bays of the nave arcade
were re-used to form a double chancel arch, and the roof was supported on 2
octagonal timber posts. The present north aisle was added in 1890 with a new
arcade of 3 bays, and the chancel was extended (as a sanctuary) in 1894. The
exterior has roughcast walls with stone dressings; there are 3 windows of the
early C17, Victorian coupled lancets, and Victorian/Decorated east and south
windows to the sanctuary, the north aisle has 2 small triple lights and a
blocked Norman (re-set) doorway. The tower (probably replacing an earlier
structure) is plain, with stepped buttresses, flint walls up to the bell-stage,
which is cement rendered, and a plain parapet with crocketted comer pinnacles.
The porch, of brickwork, has a round arch with a key. The interior is Victorian
except for the nave, which has 2 slightly pointed chancel arches resting on drum
columns; the posts support tie beams, above which are 3 slender Tuscan columns
(supporting the ceiling). There is a Norman piscina pillar (placed in the
sanctuary) and a stone font in the shape of a chalice, with the rim inscribed
..."Richard Greene of Winterbourne Stoke gave this 1629..." and floor slabs of
C18 and C19 date.


Listing NGR: SU3419941926

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.