This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9151 / 50°54'54"N
Longitude: 0.486 / 0°29'9"E
OS Eastings: 574849
OS Northings: 115786
OS Grid: TQ748157
Mapcode National: GBR PWF.HPS
Mapcode Global: FRA C6XP.75D
Entry Name: The Gatehouse, Battle Abbey
Listing Date: 3 August 1961
Last Amended: 13 May 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1278698
English Heritage Legacy ID: 292121
Location: Battle, Rother, East Sussex, TN33
County: East Sussex
Civil Parish: Battle
Built-Up Area: Battle
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Battle St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TQ 7415-7515 BATTLE HIGH STREET
(south west side)
41/1A The Gatehouse, Battle
3.8.61 (formerly listed as
part of Battle Abbey)
Built in 1338 by Abbot Alan of Ketling. Stone. Pointed carriage archway and
similar pedestrian archway with two storeys over. Ornamental arcading on first
floor. Castellated parapet. Four octagonal turrets at the angles. The portion
to the west of it forming the porters lodge is C12 and of two storeys. The portion
to the east of the gateway was added in the C16 probably by Sir Anthony Browne
on the site of the Almonry of the Abbey and was used as the court room of the
manor of Battle till the C18. Two storeys. Four windows. Two round-headed arches.
At the north east corner is an arched buttress and an octagonal - turret behind
it. Part of the Scheduled Ancient Monument.
Listing NGR: TQ7490915704
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings