History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

C Hall of Cells and Old Chapel (Now Concert Hall) and Extension to North, Parkhurst Prison

A Grade II Listed Building in Newport, Isle of Wight

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.715 / 50°42'54"N

Longitude: -1.3088 / 1°18'31"W

OS Eastings: 448892

OS Northings: 90824

OS Grid: SZ488908

Mapcode National: GBR 8B9.5WX

Mapcode Global: FRA 8746.3XX

Entry Name: C Hall of Cells and Old Chapel (Now Concert Hall) and Extension to North, Parkhurst Prison

Listing Date: 1 February 1972

Last Amended: 2 December 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1278743

English Heritage Legacy ID: 309525

Location: Newport, Isle of Wight, PO30

County: Isle of Wight

Civil Parish: Newport

Built-Up Area: Newport (Isle of Wight)

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Isle of Wight

Church of England Parish: Newport St Thomas

Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth

Find accommodation in
Northwood

Listing Text

HASKELL ROAD
"C" Hall of cells and
13/361 Old Chapel (now Concert
Hall) Parkhurst Prison

The address shall be amended to read
HASKELL ROAD
"C" Hall of cells and
Old Chapel (now Concert
Hall) and extension to
north, Parkhurst Prison

------------------------------------

HASKELL ROAD
1.
1445
"C" Hall of cells
and Old Chapel
(now concert Hall)
SZ 49 SE 13/361 Parkhurst Prison

II


2.
1844 one of the last buildings by Jebb. Situated to east of Laundry.
Very long 3 storey block in red brick with grey headers. Late Cl9
extension at northern end. Segment headed windows with close set
grilles. Gable end slate roof. At the southern end a large trefoil
shaped extension which originally contained the old chapel on the 1st
floor and classrooms on the ground floor for the juvenile offenders.
Hipped slate roofs curved to front with projecting eaves. 3 large windows
to each arm, round headed on 1st floor with broad, plain, rendered
surrounds, the sides carried down below level of sills. Ground floor
windows similar but segment headed and with keystones.


Listing NGR: SZ4889290824

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.