This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9231 / 52°55'23"N
Longitude: -1.4796 / 1°28'46"W
OS Eastings: 435083
OS Northings: 336312
OS Grid: SK350363
Mapcode National: GBR PJF.RH
Mapcode Global: WHDGT.7SPG
Entry Name: 34-35, Sadler Gate
Listing Date: 24 February 1977
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1279058
English Heritage Legacy ID: 404291
Location: Derby, DE1
County: City of Derby
Electoral Ward/Division: Arboretum
Built-Up Area: Derby
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Derby St Alkmund and St Werburgh
Church of England Diocese: Derby
893/1/269 SADLER GATE
24-FEB-77 (South side)
Pair of shops with living accommodation over, at present vacant. Probably c.1825.
Red brick; slate roof behind low parapet; C20 end stacks. Symmetrical plan with a pair of shop windows with outer recessed doorways. 3 storeys; 2-window range at first floor of 8/8 hornless sashes. 4/8 sashes over, all under channelled lintels with triple keyblocks. Sill band; moulded stone eaves cornice. Small cast-iron rainwater head on left-hand side dated 1825. Ground floor has main elements of original shopfronts with reeded jambs and cornice hood, panelled plinths, and recessed doors with panelled reveals and overlights. C20 glazing to main windows but in original frames. Rear also retains original hornless sashes with glazing bars, to all but the lower right window.
INTERIOR.The top flights of both staircases survive and some fireplace surrounds. 2 door surrounds. The ground floor has had plaster removed revealing a partition wall of early C19 timber-framing with brick infill.
The local Directory entries for these properties begin in 1825 thus corroborating the date on the rainwater head as being the date of rebuilding of the pair.
SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE.
This is a pair of purpose-built shops with accommodation over, almost certainly dating from c.1825. The exterior which is of brick with painted stone lintels and cornice is little altered. The main parts of the original shopfronts survive. The interior retains the main room layout, the tops of the 2 staircases and other internal features.
Information from Derby Research Group.
Listing NGR: SK3508236308
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings