This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7251 / 50°43'30"N
Longitude: -2.9354 / 2°56'7"W
OS Eastings: 334068
OS Northings: 92142
OS Grid: SY340921
Mapcode National: GBR PJ.CYXP
Mapcode Global: FRA 47R5.671
Entry Name: 45 and 46, Broad Street
Listing Date: 23 April 1952
Last Amended: 31 January 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1279232
English Heritage Legacy ID: 403870
Location: Lyme Regis, West Dorset, Dorset, DT7
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Lyme Regis
Built-Up Area: Lyme Regis
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Lyme Regis St Michael the Archangel
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
(North East Side)
Nos 45 and 46
[Formerly listed as premises
occupied by Boots (Cash Chemists Ltd)
SY 4392 1/53 23.4.52.
Early to mid C19 front to the former Great House; part of the original structure
said to remain to the rear wing. 3 storeys. 3 window bays. Slate roof. Stuccoed
front. Moulded cornice and parapet. Sash windows with glazing bars on 2nd floors.
French casements with margin lights opening to iron balcony. On ground floor
modern shop front to left hand. At right hand end, house door up steps, ledged
reveals; 4-panelled door; rectangular fanlight. Plaque on the building gives
the following information; 'This house occupies part of the site of what was
originally known as The Great House of Lyme Regis. Here lodged in the summer
of 1773 William Pitt [1708-1778], first Earl of Chatham, the great War Minister
of George II, and his son William Pitt [1759-1806] the great Prime Minister of
George III. Also for some months in l796-1797 it was the home of Mary Russell
Mitford [1787-1855], essayist and dramatist."
Nos 45 to 65 (consec) form a group.
Listing NGR: SY3407192149
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings