This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9415 / 51°56'29"N
Longitude: -0.8799 / 0°52'47"W
OS Eastings: 477090
OS Northings: 227590
OS Grid: SP770275
Mapcode National: GBR BZZ.6C7
Mapcode Global: VHDTJ.PGNH
Entry Name: Winslow Hall
Listing Date: 19 August 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1279357
English Heritage Legacy ID: 403576
Location: Winslow, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, MK18
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Winslow
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Winslow
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 7627-7727 WINSLOW SHEEP STREET
6/204 Winslow Hall
Mansion. Dated 1700. Accounts supervised by Sir Christopher Wren
for William Lowndes. Vitreous brick, red brick window surrounds
with moulded edges and gauged heads. Stone quoins, moulded
capping to plinth, plain second floor, band course and moulded window sills.
Moulded and modillioned wooden eaves cornice and pediment. Hipped
slate roof with 4 rectangularbrick chimneys in a row along the
central spine. Chimneys have recessed panels, single to outer
stacks, 2 panels to inner stacks, all with moulded stone caps.
3 storeys and lower ground floor. 7 bays, 3 to centre slightly
projecting and pedimented. Barred sash windows to main storeys,
those to second floor half the height of lower windows. Round
window to attic in pediment. Basement windows leaded with bars
in front. Central flight of steps, some C20, some c.1700 of
moulded stone from terrace to half-glazed door with barred
rectangular fanlight in moulded wooden architrave. Stone doorcase
with shouldered architrave, frieze inscribed William Lowndes
AD MDCC, and segmental pediment on moulded scroll brackets. Sun
fire insurance plaque below central second floor window. Rear is
similar but without lower ground floor. W. side of 5 bays has
central projection of 3 bays for staircase. E. side has single-storey
link wing dated 1901 on rainwater heads, and now containing
St.Albans Chapel, to former service wing, once a separate pavilion
with brewhouse and laundry. Pavilion has similar brickwork to
mansion, shallow dentilled gable with blind and painted round window,
slate roof, 2 storeys and 2 bays of altered windows, one blind.
Interior of mansion: plan arranged round solid central chimney
spine with staircases at W. and E. ends and closets at each corner.
Contemporary fittings with some alterations. Major ground floor
rooms have fine raised and fielded panelling, and altered fireplaces
with later painted overmantels. First floor rooms have original
moulded marble fireplaces and panelling only to dado , overdoors
and overmantels. Room to rear right has painted canvases in the
manner of Daniel Marot with pastoral scenes in elaborate surrounds
of swags, scrolls, herms and mask heads. Second floor rooms, one
a large gallery, have simpler panelling and fireplaces ofDenton
stone with moulded edges. Staircases have closed strings, moulded
handrails and turned balusters. E. staircase partly restored.
Fine vaulted lower ground floor.
(Country Life Vol. CX p. 572-6. Wren Society Vol. 17 p. 54
RCHM II p. 341-3)
Listing NGR: SP7708327591
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings