History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

1 and 2, Hilldrop Road

A Grade II Listed Building in Islington, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5516 / 51°33'5"N

Longitude: -0.1268 / 0°7'36"W

OS Eastings: 529971

OS Northings: 185297

OS Grid: TQ299852

Mapcode National: GBR FP.W60

Mapcode Global: VHGQS.R8BC

Entry Name: 1 and 2, Hilldrop Road

Listing Date: 29 September 1972

Last Amended: 30 September 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1279707

English Heritage Legacy ID: 369013

Location: Islington, London, N7

County: London

District: Islington

Electoral Ward/Division: St George's

Built-Up Area: Islington

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Luke West Holloway

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Highgate

Listing Text


ISLINGTON

TQ2985SE HILLDROP ROAD
635-1/34/502 (South side)
29/09/72 Nos.1 AND 2
(Formerly Listed as:
CAMDEN ROAD
Baptist Church)

II

Former Baptist Church and church hall, now hostel. c.1853-4 by
C.G.Searle. Dressed Kentish ragstone with stone dressings,
roof of artificial slate. Nave and chancel under a single roof
with linked two-storey hall at east end, and two octagonal
towers at the west end. North and south elevations of
five-and-a-half bays with pointed-arched windows of three
lights with two transoms, trefoil-headed lights and
rectilinear tracery, the windows flanked by gabled buttresses
with offsets; the westernmost bay has a four-centred-arched
entrance with a pointed-arched window of two lights above.
The west end has a central entrance under a four-centred arch
with engaged columns and foliage capitals, and foliage
mouldings to the archivolt; ogee hoodmould with quatrefoil to
tympanum; four-centred-arched window above with six lights and
one transom, trefoil-headed lights and rectilinear tracery;
two flanking octagonal towers with four-centred arch to ground
floor entrance, trefoiled lancets above, and original roofs
missing; storey band at first floor and gable level; central
gable with openwork parapet and corbelled pinnacle to apex.
The attached wing at the east end has a single-storey gabled
porch with four-centred arch to entrance, two-window range
linking block above with parapet, and two-storey gabled wing,
formerly the church hall: the elevation to Hilldrop Road has
flat-arched three-light windows to two storeys with top lights
and walls of dressed Kentish ragstone, the other sides of
yellow brick. The interior of the church was almost completely
altered for the purposes of a hostel in 1990, but retains an
original staircase with iron rail and balusters in the linking
wing, and two quasi-king-post roof trusses with cusped beams
visible at the west end of the church.


Listing NGR: TQ2997185297

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.