History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Entrance Gateway and Pavilions

A Grade II Listed Building in Warbreck, Liverpool

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4613 / 53°27'40"N

Longitude: -2.9527 / 2°57'9"W

OS Eastings: 336845

OS Northings: 396488

OS Grid: SJ368964

Mapcode National: GBR 7C1.86

Mapcode Global: WH871.M859

Entry Name: Entrance Gateway and Pavilions

Listing Date: 14 March 1975

Last Amended: 19 June 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1279736

English Heritage Legacy ID: 214248

Location: Liverpool, L9

County: Liverpool

Electoral Ward/Division: Warbreck

Built-Up Area: Liverpool

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside

Church of England Parish: Fazakerley Emmanuel

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in
Aintree

Listing Text

SJ 3696 HARTLEY AVENUE
L9

13/584 Entrance Gate-
way and pavilions
(formerly listed
as Hartley's
Jam Factory
(oldest part only)
14.3.75 with entrance
gateway)

G.V. II


Entrance gateway and pavilions, dated 1886. Brick and stone.
Round-headed entrance of rusticated stone has coved surround
and foliated keystone flanked by roundels. Lombard frieze
and cornice above with stone plaque inscribed:
"W.P.HARTLEY'; segmental pediment over has date. Flanking
round turrets have battered bases, slits, Lombard frieze and
cornice. Flanking pavilions of 3 bays, central bays break
forward under segmental pediments. Weathered bases, pilaster
strips and corbelled parapet with coping, urns to angles.
Round-headed windows. Entrances have flanking paired
pilasters with Corinthian capitals. Round-headed windows,
that to east has diapered panel. Western building has extra
recessed bay to left with elliptical headed window. Return
of 4 bays with paired windows. Eastern building has paired
windows and projecting 2-bay brick and terracotta extension
of 1892, central buttress with date cartouche under
pediment and chimney over. Return of 5 bays, 1st 4 have
paired windows, end bay breaks forward.


Listing NGR: SJ3684596488

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.