This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.2984 / 54°17'54"N
Longitude: -0.7072 / 0°42'25"W
OS Eastings: 484234
OS Northings: 489966
OS Grid: SE842899
Mapcode National: GBR RLHQ.PX
Mapcode Global: WHGBW.37J4
Entry Name: Village Well
Listing Date: 5 February 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1280254
English Heritage Legacy ID: 329682
Location: Lockton, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO18
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Lockton
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Lockton St Giles
Church of England Diocese: York
LOCKTON VILLAGE STREET
SE 88 NW
6/64 Village Well
Village well. Early C19. Limestone rubble walls and cast iron railings and
gate. Raised square enclosure formed by the wall of the carriage arch to
Ivy Cottage (qv) to east, attached wall to south, wall of garage (not of
special interest) to west and railings on a stone plinth to the north.
Entrance to left has urn finials to gateposts. The railings and gate have
spear finials. Inscription reset in wall to east reads: "This well was
founded in 1697 at the charges of: Robert Merrey: Iohn Robinson: Edward
Thornhill: Robart Richinson: Robart Harrisson: James Wamsley: William Pond."
Listing NGR: SE8423489966
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings