This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9935 / 51°59'36"N
Longitude: -2.1535 / 2°9'12"W
OS Eastings: 389554
OS Northings: 232792
OS Grid: SO895327
Mapcode National: GBR 1JK.VSD
Mapcode Global: VH93T.M5C4
Entry Name: 17 and 18, East Street
Listing Date: 31 October 1989
Last Amended: 25 April 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1280385
English Heritage Legacy ID: 376741
Location: Tewkesbury, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL20
Civil Parish: Tewkesbury
Built-Up Area: Tewkesbury
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Tewkesbury Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO8932 EAST STREET
859-1/6/160 (North side)
31/10/89 Nos.17 AND 18
(Formerly Listed as:
Nos.14, 16, 17 AND 18
1-16 (Cons) NE Terrace inc Oldbury
Cottage & dwelling adj to E)
Two terrace houses, part of group at street end of former
factory. 1825 for George Freeman, lace manufacturer. Flemish
bond brickwork, slate roof concealed by high parapet, brick
stacks. Double-depth plan.
2 storeys, 3-windowed. To left a broad 28-pane sash at each
level, then 16-pane above door and 12 above 12-pane with small
arched casement ground floor right, all to brick voussoirs and
stone cills. Central wide pair of 6-panel flush doors under
elliptical radial fanlight, and set deep on stone step. Stone
coping, parapet returns to right, stack far left. Beyond
parapeted return is 2-storey unit (No.18) with a 12-pane sash
above C20 door.
Street front, left, is continuous with the wide arched opening
giving access to North East Terrace (qv), formerly the factory
to which this unit was in part the main offices. The whole is
an important reminder of the former vigorous stocking-knitting
industry in Tewkesbury, used as housing since 1900.
Listing NGR: SO8955432792
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings